Thursday, April 08, 2010

PERSISTENT LOVE LEADS TO LEADERSHIP


Gracious God of all power and love, pour out Your rich blessings upon the needs and challenges in the life of this dear reader, today and all days; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Our text for today comes from John 21: 15 When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?" He said to him, "Yes, Lord; you know that I love you." Jesus said to him, "Feed my lambs." 16 A second time he said to him, "Simon son of John, do you love me?" He said to him, "Yes, Lord; you know that I love you." Jesus said to him, "Tend my sheep." 17 He said to him the third time, "Simon son of John, do you love me?" Peter felt hurt because he said to him the third time, "Do you love me?" And he said to him, "Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you." Jesus said to him, "Feed my sheep."

The Risen Christ asks of us some difficult questions at times. And not at times we expect. You may have your morning routine and most of us include breakfast as most moms and doctors and spouses may say, "It's the most important meal of the day!" And in many regards it is. I love my breakfast time with Nellie; either she or I will cook it, and we get to spend some quiet time with her, then our day begins with all that is expected of us. It is during that time that I hear or say, "I love you" to each other. And it may be during that time that we will ask of each other something out of the ordinary, usually along the lines of "Don't forget Lucy doesn't have dog food, could you stop by on your way home and get some for her?"

Simon Peter never expected the questions that Jesus asked him. Standing there among the disciples and quite possible out of earshot of the others and then maybe not, the question was specific: "Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?" Easy to answer, "Yes, Lord; You know that I do." Then the question is followed by a command: "Feed my lambs." The Good Shepherd asking a fisherman to feed His lambs. Peter knew what Jesus was talking about; Jesus' ministry had been all about feeding, sometimes physically, in those hard to explain feeding of thousands; and sometimes in the sharing of Good News about God's love and God's kingdom. Yes, Peter must have thought, I can do that. He gets asked a second time about his love for Jesuss and again gives a positive response, then the command changes: Tend my sheep. Gosh, now it's getting a bit more personal. It's one thing to feed these unruly lambs, now you want me to tend them? To tend implies an involvement and commitment; one must lay down his or her life for those sheep that he or she tends. To tend means to lead them, and you know the Psalm, from green pastures to still water, to there from here and from there to here. It means getting the sheep to know your voice and to see you lead by example, sometimes to the point of leaving 99 here to get that one who wandered off over there. Jesus, are you asking that of me?

The third time makes Peter think that perhaps Jesus isn't trusting his answers or him personally. The Bible says Peter was hurt. But again, he says, Yes, Lord, you who know everything, you know I do! The command again: Feed my sheep. Peter later realized that to love God means to serve God and to love God means to love others even to the point of having to give of yourself in ways you never dreamed you might. To shepherd someone means to lead in loving ways, sometimes even through danger or unpopularity, but always knowing that we're called to serve and please God, not the sheep. He or she who would love and serve God must assume a leadership role; saying "Over here we can find food" or "Be careful, watch out! This is dangerous or tricky! Stay with the group!" It won't be easy, but we won't do it alone.

Think about it: The Risen Christ is with you. The Risen Christ loves you and is walking with you and even leading by His example. Where are you going?

PRAYER: Lord, you know that I love You. I ask that You help me love others as I seek to lead them in the right way. I can't do it alone and I can do it only with Your help and blessing. In Christ Jesus' precious and powerful name I pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde