Tuesday, April 20, 2010

THY WORD IS A LAMP TO MY FEET AND A LIGHT TO MY PATH


Loving God, bless and protect this dear reader in all that they may need today; in Christ Jesus' name I pray, amen.

Here is our text for today: Psalm 119:105 Thy word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.

As we seek to become better disciples and as we seek to disciple others, the logical starting point is to know God's Word better. We start with prayer, asking God to reveal His love and purpose to us as we read, then we open our Bibles either to a plan we have chosen or that has been assigned to us, and we make learning more about God's word the purpose of that study. The more we know the Teacher, the better disciple we can be. The above text is well known as it became a hymn and song and a chorus that we sometimes sing. But it goes beyond that one verse. Have you seen the verses before and after that one?

Let's frame that verse in its context: 98 Thy commandment makes me wiser than my enemies, for it is ever with me. 99 I have more understanding than all my teachers, for thy testimonies are my meditation. 100 I understand more than the aged, for I keep thy precepts. 101 I hold back my feet from every evil way, in order to keep thy word. 102 I do not turn aside from thy ordinances, for thou hast taught me. 103 How sweet are thy words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth! 104 Through thy precepts I get understanding; therefore I hate every false way. 105 Thy word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. 106 I have sworn an oath and confirmed it, to observe thy righteous ordinances. 107 I am sorely afflicted; give me life, O LORD, according to thy word! 108 Accept my offerings of praise, O LORD, and teach me thy ordinances. 109 I hold my life in my hand continually, but I do not forget thy law. 110 The wicked have laid a snare for me, but I do not stray from thy precepts. 111 Thy testimonies are my heritage for ever; yea, they are the joy of my heart.

God's word serves us as we seek to serve God. There is wisdom for us in it; there is understanding if we seek it, and there is a way to live that gives witness to others about the greatness of God. God's instruction warns us about how to live and how not to live. And if we develop a taste, a daily taste for God's word, it becomes a sweet taste, "sweeter than honey" (v. 103) to us. Yes, we continue to face what life throws at us, but we do it with the certainty that we are not now or ever alone and with the faith that because of God's word, we are joyful and hopeful.

PRAYER: Loving God, help me to be Your disciple today. As I seek to make disciples, may the testimony of my actions and words reflect that I am Yours and I am guided by Your word. I pray this in Christ Jesus' precious word, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde