Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Am I A Credit To The Message of Christ?

Amazing God of peace and protection, bless and protect the life and needs of this dear reader; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Our text for today comes from Philippians 1:21 Alive, I'm Christ's messenger; dead, I'm his bounty. Life versus even more life! I can't lose. 22 As long as I'm alive in this body, there is good work for me to do. If I had to choose right now, I hardly know which I'd choose. 23 Hard choice! The desire to break camp here and be with Christ is powerful. Some days I can think of nothing better 24 . But most days, because of what you are going through, I am sure that it's better for me to stick it out here. 25 So I plan to be around awhile, companion to you as your growth and joy in this life of trusting God continues. 26 You can start looking forward to a great reunion when I come visit you again. We'll be praising Christ, enjoying each other. 27 Meanwhile, live in such a way that you are a credit to the Message of Christ. Let nothing in your conduct hang on whether I come or not. Your conduct must be the same whether I show up to see things for myself or hear of it from a distance. Stand united, singular in vision, contending for people's trust in the Message, the good news, 28 not flinching or dodging in the slightest before the opposition. Your courage and unity will show them what they're up against: defeat for them, victory for you - and both because of God. 29 There's far more to this life than trusting in Christ. There's also suffering for him. And the suffering is as much a gift as the trusting. 30 You're involved in the same kind of struggle you saw me go through, on which you are now getting an updated report in this letter. (The Message)

I saw a show late last night whose name I am trying to forget. It is about helping turn certain businesses around. This first and last episode that I saw involved a declining establishment where the wait staff and the cook staff were part of the problem in killing the business. The cook had been professionally trained and could work at almost any fine establishment if he could find work in such, but this was his only job. He never cleaned the deep fat fryers nor his work area and the food he produced was terrible. He had no pride in what he did. The consultant hired to turn this place around believed it was because the owner/manager never acknowledged him nor directly interacted with him, so his conduct and work ethic was less than what one would expect from an employee.

Paul is writing to people who wanted him to come and visit and be with them. They had done much and there was still much to be done but they were holding back in a way and wanted and they believed, needed, his presence. Paul writes that they must "live in such a way that you are a credit to the Message of Christ. Let nothing in your conduct hang on whether I come or not." (v. 27). How many times do we think we need extra attention or acclamation from someone before we do what we should? How many times has the church stopped growing as a result of not caring anymore? Has Christ stopped visiting the Church and being her main encourager? Sadly, in some churches, Christ is no longer invited or sought. But in those whose lives Christ is the center, new things happen everytime they are together and new people are sought. We should all follow that list Paul shares: 1) stand united. 2) singular in vision. 3) sharing in such a way people come to the Message. 4) Do not flinch nor dodge because of the opposition. 5) Courage and singleness of vision will bring God the victory.

If you seek Christ daily, you're on the right track. If you know that Christ seeks you daily you're on the right track as well. And ask yourself the important question, Am I a credit to the Message of Christ (meaning you yourself)?

PRAYER: Loving God, I think I already know the answer, but I seek to be a credit to You and Your Son and the Good News of salvation and new life. Help today be the day when I can truly know and say that I am a credit to You. I pray in Christ Jesus' precious and powerful name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde