Thursday, September 01, 2011

A GPS Equipped iPod, Please!

Blessed God in the life and toil of this dear reader, be present and powerful; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Our text comes from Psalm 119: 33 God, teach me lessons for living so I can stay the course. 34 Give me insight so I can do what you tell me - my whole life one long, obedient response. 35 Guide me down the road of your commandments; I love traveling this freeway! 36 Give me a bent for your words of wisdom, and not for piling up loot. 37 Divert my eyes from toys and trinkets, invigorate me on the pilgrim way. 38 Affirm your promises to me - promises made to all who fear you. 39 Deflect the harsh words of my critics - but what you say is always so good. 40 See how hungry I am for your counsel; preserve my life through your righteous ways! (The Message)

When one is on a plane for many hours, watching movies is a good option. Such was the case in both going and coming from South Africa. On the way there I made the mistake of trying to catch up with my summer list of "must-see's" and even those I had never heard of. Such was the case with a movie starring Martin Sheen call "The Way." Remember, Martin is the dad, not Charlie, the son. The other son, who has kept the true family name, Emilio Estevez, wrote, produced and directed this movie. The title refers to a pilgramage one can take from varying points in Europe leading to a chapel where the remains of St. James the Disciple are said to rest. It is a very expensive and very extensive journey. The story of the movie deals with Martin Sheen being a rich eye doctor whose son, Emilio, cannot decide what to do with his life and drops out of college and tries this and that and finally tells his dad he is leaving to wander Europe. Dad, of course, does not approve and then gets word that his son has been killed on this pilgramage. Once in Europe to claim the son's body the dad learns of this journey and decides to honor his son's memory, begins the long trek to see why so many take this journey.

Today's psalm speaks of our trek through life and how much more meaningful and easier it becomes when we know and trust God. What killed the son in the movie is never fully explained but it has to do with his not staying the course. We know all too well what happens to us when we stray off=course in our lives. The psalmist knew as well thus his pleading to God to help him know what to do and where to go. It was like he was asking for an iPod to use while walking that would only speak to his heart about life and life's choices in a such a way that he would never lose his way. Yes, an iPod with a G.P.S., a God-Positioning System, so that one knows exactly where God is and where we are in relation to God. Listen to the life-affirmations that come from God, not the life-deflating comments of critics and cynics. Keep your spiritual appetite fixed on God and you will be filled and never lost.

PRAYER: Loving God, guide me today in the way I should go. Let me hear Your voice of love and leading so that I might reach those places along the way where I can be serve You. I ask this in Christ Jesus' precious and powerful name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde