Thursday, January 24, 2013

Jesus Always Went to Church!

Luke 4: 14 Then Jesus, filled with the power of the Spirit, returned to Galilee, and a report about him spread through all the surrounding country. 15 He began to teach in their synagogues and was praised by everyone. 16 When he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up, he went to the synagogue on the sabbath day, as was his custom. He stood up to read, 17 and the scroll of the prophet Isaiah was given to him. He unrolled the scroll and found the place where it was written: 18 "The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free, 19 to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor." 20 And he rolled up the scroll, gave it back to the attendant, and sat down. The eyes of all in the synagogue were fixed on him. 21 Then he began to say to them, "Today this scripture has been fulfilled in your hearing." (NRSV)

It's a story I never tire of sharing. Forgive me if you've heard this before. I took my vehicle to be serviced some years ago, and the service advisor became thrilled when I told him I was a pastor. He shared how he loved his church and how his pastor had started a new sermon series and did not want to miss a one. He said, "My brother and i own season tickets to the Cowboys for every home game, but I gave him my tickets for those Sundays because I don't want to miss a one!" Wow! I thought, I want some church members like him! Heck, I wanted him, but I was thankful for his attitude towards his minister and his church. Jesus, as Luke reports, went to church "as was his custom." Filled with the power of the Holy Spirit, meaning Jesus stayed connected with God through prayer and love, Jesus felt led back to His home region of Galilee where he taught in the synagogues and was well received. When He went home to Nazareth, and there He stood up to read and read the passage where Isaiah said, "The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor." After reading it, He sat down and people were looking at Him and He said to them, "Today this scripture has been fulfilled in your hearing."

Wait, what? Those were some mighty powerful words you shared from the great prophet Isaiah and You say that in having read them, I don't get it. Precisely what most of the people there might have been wondering about exactly Jesus meant by claiming those words as His own. Look at the list again. Isaiah is, as God's prophet, literally, mouthpiece, saying, 1) The Lord's Spirit is upon me. Those present at His baptism knew that that was true; the dove and everything. 2) Anointed by God to bring good news to the poor. What are those good news? That they're now rich? I'm looking at some poor folks and they're still poor. 3) Proclaim release to the captives. Are the jails opening up soon and letting people out? 4) Recovery of the sight to the blind. Jesus had not yet healed any blind people, so what's the deal? 5) Let the oppressed go free. Where exactly is this taking place? 6) Proclaim the year of the Lord's favor. What year exactly?

One can easily see how some dismiss Jesus with similar arguments. Those led by the Holy Spirit understand it. Jesus was Spirit-filled and Spirit-led. Jesus is the Messiah, the anointed one of God, and every part of His message as recorded in the Gospels is Good News for those poor in spirit and for all who would admit to being poor in any sense of the word. Those who have been released from vices or deadly habits know of Jesus' power to truly open the prison doors of addictions. Those who have wandered through life with limited or no understanding at all, upon hearing God's voice through Jesus now understand and see with eyes of faith, truly admitting that they were blind to the love and mercy of God. And those who have felt the cold grip of the enemy's hand upon their life know of the despair and hopelessness that was not yet theirs until they surrendered to Jesus and let the strong arms of our Lord lift them beyond that grasp to the freedom and fullness of life in Jesus Christ. Yes, thank You, Jesus, for fulfilling the Word of Isaiah.

Tell somebody!

PRAYER: Awesome God, let me help spread the Word of how through Jesus you fulfilled the Scriptures and brought new life to me and others like me. We need to share with more people. We truly have a story to share with the nations. In Jesus' name I pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde