Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Try Saying No to God

Jeremiah 1:4 Now the word of the Lord came to me saying, 5 "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations." 6 Then I said, "Ah, Lord God! Truly I do not know how to speak, for I am only a boy." 7 But the Lord said to me, "Do not say, "I am only a boy'; for you shall go to all to whom I send you, and you shall speak whatever I command you. 8 Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you to deliver you, says the Lord." 9 Then the Lord put out his hand and touched my mouth; and the Lord said to me, "Now I have put my words in your mouth. 10 See, today I appoint you over nations and over kingdoms, to pluck up and to pull down, to destroy and to overthrow, to build and to plant." (NRSV)

I tried. You may have tried, too. Or maybe you're still trying. But you can't turn God down. Imagine if God wants you as a prophet "to the nations," you think God will take a no for an answer? Imagine if God wants you to say hi to a visitor to your church or Bible study. Do you think God will take a no? Such was Jeremiah's call. Known before his formation in his mother's womb and consecrated before his birth; and even anointed as a prophet to the nations. Those are some impressive credentials given by God to this young man and this young man nonetheless said, "Uh, no thanks. I'm good." Actually, he said, "I fear public speaking!" and added, "Besides, I'm just a kid!" What are some of your excuses? I thought mine were pretty good, too. But God has a way with His creation. In Jeremiah's case, God spoke to Jere's fear by saying, "Don't be afraid of them, for I am with you to deliver you," and then put out his hand and touched Jere's mouth and said, "Now I have put my words in your mouth." And laid out the plans: pluck up, pull down, destroy, overthrow, build and plant."

God's call is always positive and powerful. And it always comes with a positive challenge to the Kingdom of God whether it is to be a prophet to the nations or a friend to a new or not yet believer. God is with us and God will help us deliver God's message. Whether it is a worldwide televised sermon to a heartfelt arm around a shoulder, God is with us. It is just up to us to say Yes. Here I am, Lord, send me!

PRAYER: Loving God, here I am, Lord, send me. Help me overcome doubt with the words I just read; You provide power and presence. We should be only about building and planting that which will bless God and others. I pray in Jesus' name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde

Thought for the Day

God's positive presence is Yours! Do something for God today!