Tuesday, March 19, 2013

God is Present in Our Suffering; Count on It!

Isaiah 50:4 The Lord God has given me the tongue of a teacher, that I may know how to sustain the weary with a word. Morning by morning he wakens— wakens my ear to listen as those who are taught. 5 The Lord God has opened my ear, and I was not rebellious, I did not turn backward. 6 I gave my back to those who struck me, and my cheeks to those who pulled out the beard; I did not hide my face from insult and spitting. 7 The Lord God helps me; therefore I have not been disgraced; therefore I have set my face like flint, and I know that I shall not be put to shame; 8 he who vindicates me is near. Who will contend with me? Let us stand up together. Who are my adversaries? Let them confront me. 9 It is the Lord God who helps me; who will declare me guilty? (NRSV)

This is the week leading to the week. The passages will reveal the suffering and passion of Jesus on our behalf. The prophet Isaiah, heard and wrote these words many years before they applied to Jesus, yet they hit the mark of all that Jesus had to endure. Is Jesus a teacher? The best the world has seen. Is Jesus an encourager? No one compares. Is Jesus present as we awaken for the day? Count on it. Did Jesus obey God? Like no one we know. Did Jesus take His blows without complaining? It's what the Bible says. Did God help Jesus? Always; as God has for you and me. Were insults hurled at Jesus? Just like a church that does not like/pray for/love their pastor. Was Jesus guilty? No, but the crowds said He was. Did Jesus have to suffer all these things? He wanted to. For you and for me.

Does our suffering compare? Sometimes it seems worse. But, in all things, God is with us.

Can we endure? If we trust God.

PRAYER: Loving God, be present in the life of this dear reader in all that s/he may face or be facing. Be especially with all who serve as Your servants in churches and places of service and ministry. May any suffering or pain they are feeling pale when Your healing touch is upon them. Be present in a healing way with those of Your servants who are sick or in ERs or ICUs needing Your deliverance; You know who they are, bless and comfort them and their loved ones. In Christ Jesus we pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord.

Eradio Valverde