Monday, March 04, 2013

Sing A Song of Joy!

Psalm 32 (New Revised Standard Version): 1 Happy are those whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered. 2 Happy are those to whom the Lord imputes no iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no deceit. 3 While I kept silence, my body wasted away through my groaning all day long. 4 For day and night your hand was heavy upon me; my strength was dried up as by the heat of summer. (Selah) 5 Then I acknowledged my sin to you, and I did not hide my iniquity; I said, "I will confess my transgressions to the Lord," and you forgave the guilt of my sin. (Selah) 6 Therefore let all who are faithful offer prayer to you; at a time of distress, the rush of mighty waters shall not reach them. 7 You are a hiding place for me; you preserve me from trouble; you surround me with glad cries of deliverance. (Selah) 8 I will instruct you and teach you the way you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you. 9 Do not be like a horse or a mule, without understanding, whose temper must be curbed with bit and bridle, else it will not stay near you. 10 Many are the torments of the wicked, but steadfast love surrounds those who trust in the Lord. 11 Be glad in the Lord and rejoice, O righteous, and shout for joy, all you upright in heart.

Most of the Psalms were written to be sung. There are no recorded melodies for these psalms, but the words themselves sing out praises and prayers towards God. And any song that begins with the word Happy can't be a bad or sad song. It's a song of celebration, elation, and joy! Compare those days in your life where you won a special victory, recognition, love, promotion, etc., and the joy that accompanied that special thing; was not your heart singing? Think back to that moment when you knew that Jesus had died for YOUR sins, and put music to that moment, you will have a number one song in your heart for yourself. John Wesley, as he sat quite reluctantly at the laity led meeting, heard the words of Martin Luther on the Paul's letter to the Romans. Here are his words from his journal: "About a quarter before nine, while he was describing the change which God works in the heart through faith in Christ, I felt my heart strangely warmed. I felt I did trust in Christ, Christ alone, for salvation; and an assurance was given me that He had taken away my sins, even mine, and saved me from the law of sin and death." It would be his brother who would write the hymn, O For A Thousand Tongues to Sing that would include this truth: "He breaks the power of canceled sin, He sets the prisoner free; His blood can make the foulest clean, His blood availed for me." There's the joy.

The Psalmist knew what it was to sin, and he also knew what it was to be forgiven. He knew the pain and suffering that he describes in the words of today's psalm; the feeling that one's body is wasting away through one's groaning. The heavy weight of guilt upon one's heart, the loss of strength from the heat of anguish as if from the heat of summer. Yet, it was upon confession that God brought forgiveness. His joy was to write these words so that "all who are faithful (can) offer prayer to you." God is our hiding place where nothing nor no one can reach us if we desire God's protection from sin. He even uses common comparison for us not to be like pack or riding animals "who are without understanding, whose temper must be curbed with bit and bridle, else it will not stay near you." Ours is the steadfast love from God. Closing instructions; be glad in the Lord and rejoice, and shout for joy, all you upright (the forgiven) in heart.

PRAYER: Loving God, let it be so for me; that You remove my sins and transgressions from my heart and especially my mind. May true happiness in You be found in me because of what You have removed. Replace my sin with gratitude and love towards You. This I pray in Jesus' precious and powerful name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde

Thought for the Day

May my heart sing a song of joy for what God can and has done in me!