Thursday, April 18, 2013

We Belong to Jesus!

John 10:22 At that time the festival of the Dedication took place in Jerusalem. It was winter, 23 and Jesus was walking in the temple, in the portico of Solomon. 24 So the Jews gathered around him and said to him, "How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Messiah, tell us plainly." 25 Jesus answered, "I have told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in my Father's name testify to me; 26 but you do not believe, because you do not belong to my sheep. 27 My sheep hear my voice. I know them, and they follow me. 28 I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one will snatch them out of my hand. 29 What my Father has given me is greater than all else, and no one can snatch it out of the Father's hand. 30 The Father and I are one." (NRSV)

It was an important religious holiday celebration and of course, Jesus was in the Temple. He was sought out by those who wondered just exactly is this man and they asked Him, "Are you the Messiah? And if so, spell it out!" It sounds like those who ask, "Are you for real?" Jesus replied that He had told them and not only that the unexplainable things that He had done gave further witness to Who He was. These folks sadly, did not have a relationship with God nor with Jesus thus they did not know Him. Jesus further stated that His sheep know His voice, He knows them, and they follow Him. And, Jesus adds, "I will give them eternal life and they will never perish." Jesus also says that He is the protector of those who love and follow Him and no one can take us away from Him. And this is because of Who Jesus is in relation to God the Father.

We are called to live a life that gives witness to the faith we have in Jesus; that Jesus takes care of us always even after this life. Nothing nor no one can snatch us from His loving embrace. That is the kind of foundation for living a solid life that pleases God and seeks to serve God.

PRAYER: Loving God, may my life give witness to the faith and trust I have in You. May I seek to hear Your voice as I live my life today. Guide me to faithfulness. This I pray in Jesus' name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde