Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Eyewitness to Glory

Photo by Eradio Valverde, Jr.

What Have You Seen or Heard?

From 2 Peter 1:16 For we did not follow cleverly devised myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but we had been eyewitnesses of his majesty. 17 For he received honor and glory from God the Father when that voice was conveyed to him by the Majestic Glory, saying, "This is my Son, my Beloved, with whom I am well pleased." 18 We ourselves heard this voice come from heaven, while we were with him on the holy mountain. 19 So we have the prophetic message more fully confirmed. You will do well to be attentive to this as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts. 20 First of all you must understand this, that no prophecy of scripture is a matter of one's own interpretation, 21because no prophecy ever came by human will, but men and women moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God.

Nothing beats a personal experience or an eyewitness. I can tell you about a new donut shop that makes melt-in-your-mouth donuts and you might believe me, but when you finally put that tasty donut in your mouth, you will know for certain what I'm talking about. I'm sorry, it's early and I'm hungry and I can't have donuts! The same is true about knowing the Lord and what He offers. Peter writes this letter to believers who were not with him when he saw the Transfiguration (which we discussed yesterday) and he's making the case that Jesus is real and what is taught about Him is true. Have you ever said or heard, "Nobody can make this stuff up!"? Well, that's the case for Peter: Nobody made this stuff up; that which we shared about Christ's power and return is all true. Peter adds, "We were eyewitnesses of His majesty;" we were there when God declared, "This is my Son, my Beloved, with whom I am well pleased. We ourselves heard this voice come from heaven, while we were with Him on the holy mountain." Peter had confirmation and so have we. This weekend I shared how one Sunday I heard the Lord asking me to honor the men of my church. I argued and said I did not know what that was about, and I didn't do it. I heard after church, "You did not honor the men of your church." The next Sunday again I heard the same thing and I wanted to argue again, but I stood in the pulpit and asked the men in the church to stand. I had no idea what to say but God gave me the words and they were of encouragement. I said something along the lines of it not being easy for men to be in church when they see others washing cars or playing golf or towing their boats towards the water; but their having made the decision to be in church was a blessing to God, to themselves, and to their families. As they stood and as I asked the women to applaud their presence I could see tears not only on the women but on some of the men. The next morning one of our office volunteers thanked me saying I did not know how much her husband needed that word on that day.

God can still speak to us during our times of need or doubt. We may be facing something with an undesired outcome, but we have to stay connected to God and listen to what God may say through reading His Word or through reflection and silence after our prayers. Peter says, "You will do well to be attentive to this as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts." Jesus is the morning star and Jesus is Who should be in your hearts. His love and His presence is the light we need when we believe ourselves to be in darkness. Let Him shine and Let Him take control. God's Holy Spirit will move in and among you and especially your need.

PRAYER: Loving God, make Your light to shine in the dark places of my life. Let me be attentive to You and Your movement in my life. Come into my heart again and again, Lord Jesus, and be the morning star that hints of the great light coming my way. This I pray in Christ Jesus, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde

Prayer Joy: Today Nellie and I celebrate 36 years of marriage. Not bad for a whirlwind romance! She abducted me and has not released my heart since that time! ;)