Thursday, February 20, 2014

Traveling This Freeway!

Photo by Matt Logue from http://cellophane66.blogspot.com/

The Psalm in a Modern Light

From Psalm 119: 33 God, teach me lessons for living so I can stay the course. 34 Give me insight so I can do what you tell me - my whole life one long, obedient response. 35 Guide me down the road of your commandments; I love traveling this freeway! 36 Give me a bent for your words of wisdom, and not for piling up loot. 37 Divert my eyes from toys and trinkets, invigorate me on the pilgrim way. 38Affirm your promises to me - promises made to all who fear you. 39 Deflect the harsh words of my critics - but what you say is always so good. 40 See how hungry I am for your counsel; preserve my life through your righteous ways!

We have an interesting Interstate freeway system. The product of President Einsenhower, it was designed with the military in mind. East to West, the interstate freeways are even-numbered; North to South, odd-numbered. Most have long stretches of straight road designed to allow military planes to land if necessary, and the interstate system continues to grow. Some have a fear of these fast roads and when we moved from the small town of Kingsville to Houston, we kept hearing people talk about the "spaghetti bowl." Have you gone there yet? No, we're poor and don't eat out much - No, ha ha, the spaghetti bowl is where all the bridges from the interstate meet downtown! Yeah, ha ha.

The psalmist knew the best way to travel anywhere was with and following God. The only way to travel with God is to get to know God better and better each and every day. He knows that a humble heart opens the entrance onto this path and so he asks for lessons that help us learn and keep the course on which we know God would have us go. A keen insight to observe and know what God is sharing is also necessary; and he calls the law and God's commandments a "road," and declares that those who do these things will say, like him, "I love traveling this freeway!" (v. 35). The desire is to continue the journey, enjoying it but not being distracted by whatever is on either side of the freeway. Gone are the Stucky's of old (most of them anyway) that used to call our attention to pull off the interstate and buy something. The interstate of life is also lined with "Stucky's" that serve no real purpose in our journeying with God.

Ours is the "pilgrim way" which leads to new discoveries and finds that will bless us and those with whom we share them. Our is also a journey to hear God and sing God's praises and not be distracted by voices calling off by putting us down. Our journey down this road is best traveled with th hunger to love God more and more.

PRAYER: Awesome Lord, thank You for Your word. May my journeys today be blessed and protected by You. As I travel through this life, make me a pilgrim to discover, enjoy, and share new and wondrous blessings. This I pray in Christ Jesus, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde