Monday, May 19, 2014

Abide in the Lord

Image from agnusday.org

No Better Place to Be or Live!

From John 15:1-8: "I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinegrower. He removes every branch in me that bears no fruit. Every branch that bears fruit he prunes to make it bear more fruit. You have already been cleansed by the word that I have spoken to you. Abide in me as I abide in you. Just as the branch cannot bear fruit by itself unless it abides in the vine, neither can you unless you abide in me. I am the vine, you are the branches. Those who abide in me and I in them bear much fruit, because apart from me you can do nothing. Whoever does not abide in me is thrown away like a branch and withers; such branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask for whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. My Father is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit and become my disciples.

Beyond being connected to Christ Jesus, you and I have to live in Him, and let Him live in us. Using this wonderful example of a vineyard, Jesus makes clear this living that produces fruit. First, we should know, trust, and let God be the vinegrower; for God knows and loves us and tenderly cares for us as one who knows how to produce a great crop of grapes. God at work in us will prune away that which is not good for His work, and staying and living in Christ will produce that which is needed for God's glory. The Word as shared with us by Christ has and does serve a purpose of keeping us clean and connected. Jesus is our vine and we are His branches. Those who strive daily to live and be Christ produce a big harvest of those who see in us that which they need and will accept it for themselves as well.

In talking with a friend whom I have not seen in years but share phone conversations from time to time, we talked about connecting with God. I shared how John Wesley believed that 5 a.m. was the hour in which he connected with God and gave as his final orders that he be buried at that hour. My friend, who has gone from being Roman Catholic, active in our campus ministry in the 1980's, to Greek Orthodox, shared how some mystics believe 3:30 a.m. is the hour to connect with God. The hour does not matter, the intention and purpose should be to connect and live. In the quiet of the morning hours I am alone with God, praying, thinking, reflecting on the Word of God, listening to what God may share. I seek to pray without ceasing; thought prayers after some time on my knees or prostrate before God. I read the Scriptures to help my listening and my thinking, and then leave to try to live a life that best reflects that I have been in the presence of Christ. I wish I could say I am successful every day, but I am a driver of a vehicle in a world in a hurry. I am a human being with feelings in a society that sometimes does not care about me or my feelings. But still I hang on and strive to move forward and upward in this journey of trying to be like Jesus. The Methodist in me says this is the journey of sanctification, one that does not always go as straight or as upward as I would like, but with Christ's help it is a journey that does move. Lord, forgive my stagnation at times.

The sheep in Agnus Day always say something that is worth my including them as the graphic in this devotional. The one with the dark snout says, "It's critical to stay connected to Jesus to find your life in Him; His life empowers your fruitfulness!" This counters that first lamb's concern about the verse that says some branches are thrown in the fire. If we stay in and live in Christ, we can ask for whatever we wish, and know that it will be done. Our job is to glorify God as we together with Him "bear much fruit" and become His disciples. May it be so.

PRAYER: Loving God, let me abide in You and You in me. You know my weaknesses and I pray you change it to making them my strength. Help us all journey with You each day in a way that does bring glory to Your name. This we pray in Christ Jesus, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde

PRAYER REQUESTS: Dear friends, Please keep these dear sisters in your prayers and thoughts; Rev. Pat Gideon is having surgery today at 1 p.m. in San Antonio Spine Hospital for a serious operation on her spine. Rev. Beth Tatum has been diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis and is having initial tests done to determine the extent of this illness. Rev. Betty Whitesides who is recovering from emergency surgery on Thursday evening. May the Lord bless and keep these sisters in the Lord and you for sharing your prayers with each other.