Thursday, May 15, 2014

Shelter in the Lord!

Photograph by Eradio Valverde, a church near Weimar, Tx

Boyhood Experiences Set the Tone for David

From Psalm 31: 1-5; 19-24: In you, O Lord, I seek refuge; do not let me ever be put to shame; in your righteousness deliver me. Incline your ear to me; rescue me speedily. Be a rock of refuge for me, a strong fortress to save me. You are indeed my rock and my fortress; for your name's sake lead me and guide me, take me out of the net that is hidden for me, for you are my refuge. Into your hand I commit my spirit; you have redeemed me, O Lord, faithful God. O how abundant is your goodness that you have laid up for those who fear you, and accomplished for those who take refuge in you, in the sight of everyone! In the shelter of your presence you hide them from human plots; you hold them safe under your shelter from contentious tongues. Blessed be the Lord, for he has wondrously shown his steadfast love to me when I was beset as a city under siege. I had said in my alarm, "I am driven far from your sight." But you heard my supplications when I cried out to you for help. Love the Lord, all you his saints. The Lord preserves the faithful, but abundantly repays the one who acts haughtily. Be strong, and let your heart take courage, all you who wait for the Lord.

Did you have a place to hide as a child? I suspect David had plenty of them, including those during his shepherd boy years where he could hide from the elements and from any natural enemies of his flock. I did not have caves nor mountains in which to hide, but my hiding places were a comfort to me and also to my friends who sometimes hid with me. We were not hiding from anyone or anything in particular, just a place where we knew we were safe.

The arms of God are now my hiding place as they were for David. In God we will never be put to shame and in God we have a ready and caring ear through which we can share our woes and cares. A dear friend, The Rev. Francisco Gaytan last evening as we talked said, "My ears are not old, they're well used!" So are the ears of God, but God hears us loudly and clearly. In God we can ask and know that God will lead us and guide us even away from those things formed against us and that which can make us stumble and fall away. We may think we have wandered too far away from God never to return, but that is not true. God hears us, protects and preserves us. In that we can find and take courage.

PRAYER: Awesome God, let me hide myself in Thee. Bring to me new direction and sense of wellbeing especially during those times when I feel afraid, lost, and seemingly too far from You. Let me bring blessing to Your name and in turn to Your people. This I pray in faith, in Jesus' name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde