Friday, January 23, 2015

Power, Rock, and Soul

The Wherewithal to Live

From Psalm 62:5-12: For God alone my soul waits in silence, for my hope is from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be shaken. On God rests my deliverance and my honor; my mighty rock, my refuge is in God. Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your heart before him; God is a refuge for us. (Selah) Those of low estate are but a breath, those of high estate are a delusion; in the balances they go up; they are together lighter than a breath. Put no confidence in extortion, and set no vain hopes on robbery; if riches increase, do not set your heart on them. Once God has spoken; twice have I heard this: that power belongs to God, and steadfast love belongs to you, O Lord. For you repay to all according to their work.

There are moments, like this one, when all one can do is wait in silence. And there is only One, in Whom we can wait, and that is God. For it is in God from where we get all our hope. I write this in a dorm room in a nice setting, miles from where I want to be; with my granddaughter, my daughter, son-in-law, and wife as they awaken and prepare for Eliana's surgical procedure. I wonder what David was confronting as he wrote this psalm. But it speaks to me. "He alone is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be shaken." Beautiful, but powerful words. David knew all these aspects of God, for he himself was delivered from many challenges. He stood upon that rock, and knew the salvation from many foes, especially sin. For one who knew battle, he knew the strength and protection of a fortress. And in all those things he was not shaken.

In God is our deliverance, for God continues to be our rock and refuge; in God we truly do trust. God is open to hearing us pour out our hearts before Him, and God acts on our behalf.

All power belongs to God.

PRAYER: For those here and anywhere who are facing difficulty, be with us. I especially pray for Eliana, that she be safe and that that which is being done on her, and for her, be a victory. For calm and peace, we rely on You; share that with Nellie and Jorge. Share it with Nellie and me and all who need it right now. All power belongs to You, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde