Monday, January 12, 2015

Putting the Band Together

IMage from AngusDay.org

Were the Apostles a Dream Team?

From John 1: 43-51: The next day Jesus decided to go to Galilee. He found Philip and said to him, "Follow me." Now Philip was from Bethsaida, the city of Andrew and Peter. Philip found Nathanael and said to him, "We have found him about whom Moses in the law and also the prophets wrote, Jesus son of Joseph from Nazareth." Nathanael said to him, "Can anything good come out of Nazareth?" Philip said to him, "Come and see." When Jesus saw Nathanael coming toward him, he said of him, "Here is truly an Israelite in whom there is no deceit!" Nathanael asked him, "Where did you get to know me?" Jesus answered, "I saw you under the fig tree before Philip called you." Nathanael replied, "Rabbi, you are the Son of God! You are the King of Israel!" Jesus answered, "Do you believe because I told you that I saw you under the fig tree? You will see greater things than these." 51 And he said to him, "Very truly, I tell you, you will see heaven opened and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of Man."

Jesus' call of disciples amazes me every time a biblical story, like today's shows it happen. Jesus approaches these men and some of the times simply says, "Follow me." And they usually do. Today He found Philip and asked Him to follow Him, and he did. And Philip, excited by this invitation, does what we should be doing, goes and tells someone else, in this case Nathanael, and says, "You won't believe that we have found Him whom Moses and the prophets talked about! Some see, this Jesus son of Joseph from Nazareth!" At first Nate asks, "That hick town? No one big or important has come from a hick town like that!" In one cartoon strip, agnusday.org, two lambs are talking about hick towns, and after one of them mentions hick towns, the other lamb says, "Elvis was from a hick town." And the first responds, "I don't think you can equate Elvis with Jesus," to which the second responds, "That's true, Jesus has never been sighted at a 7-11." But hick towns aside, Philip insists that Nate go and see. The first to speak at that meeting is Jesus when He calls Nate "an Israelite without deceit." Amazed, Nate asks, "Where did you get to know me?" Jesus responds with the answer, and Nate is blown away. Listen again to what Nate's response is, "Rabbi, you are the Son of God! You are the King of Israel!" Wow. Teacher. Son of the Living God. King of Israel. A three-fold declaration of faith based on Jesus having seen him under a fig tree.

Jesus then asks, "does your faith in me come because I told you I saw you under the fig tree? You ain't seen nothing yet!" Yesterday, I was privileged and honored to preach, for the first time, in my childhood church, El Buen Pastor UMC in Kingsville, Texas. I was baptized there at 30 days of age, confirmed there, and made Jesus my Lord and Savior in that church at about age 8. And I basically shared how from that time on, the things I have seen, and the places I have gone, have been the result of my faith in Jesus Christ. The things promised to Nate are awesome, that he would see "heaven opened and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of Man." While I have not yet seen these things, the answers to my prayers, and the blessings that have come my way, are along the same lines of angels attending to me and loved ones and church members, and all because of the Son of God is with me, and with you who have made Him your Lord and Savior.

Jesus continues to build his team; and He wants you on it. What's keeping you out? Is it you yourself that's the obstacle? Surrender then, every aspect of your life, including your sins, to the Son of God, and see what happens. You will be amazed!

PRAYER: Lord, You never cease to amaze us as we pray and listen. Bless this dear reader with stronger faith and may we see in the answers to our prayers those answers that will amaze and bless us, and in turn, others. In Jesus' name I pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde

Prayer Update: We prayed for Roger Custer, and yesterday after lunch, I spoke there, and church members were happy that he had been in church. Also thank you for your prayers and understanding about my health scare. I'm on the mend. And I'm thankful that I could put this devotional together for you. Blessings to you!