Monday, February 15, 2016

God Cares So Much for Us, Jesus Came

At that very hour some Pharisees came and said to him, "Get away from here, for Herod wants to kill you." He said to them, "Go and tell that fox for me, "Listen, I am casting out demons and performing cures today and tomorrow, and on the third day I finish my work. Yet today, tomorrow, and the next day I must be on my way, because it is impossible for a prophet to be killed outside of Jerusalem.' Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often have I desired to gather your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you were not willing! See, your house is left to you. And I tell you, you will not see me until the time comes when you say, "Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the Lord.' " (Luke 13:31-35)

Jesus was very observant about nature.  He knew the nature of the fox, which was cunning and wily; and He knew the protective nature of a mother hen.  He employs both in this passage.  Told by those who sought to kill Him, that Herod wanted to kill Him, Jesus calls Herod a fox and shares again what they knew; Jesus was casting out demons and healing people.  Then he addresses the reality of the situation; He would not die outside of Jerusalem, He would have to make His way to the holy city because there He would fulfill God's plan, and be part of that city's tragic history regarding the servants of God.

Jesus knew that God's desire was to save those who love and serve Him; and though God had tried many times to save His people, the people rejected that help and went on their own way, as we still sometimes do.

God works through Jesus and brings us the chance to be made right with Him.  That's what Lent serves to remind us of, and leads us towards the celebration of that eternal victory of Jesus over sin and death.

Where will that find you?

PRAYER:  LORD, let me be found in You.  Let me seek Your shelter and protection, and guide me to faithfulness and fruitfulness.  This I pray in Christ Jesus my Lord, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde