Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Don't Just Talk About It, Be In On It!

Image from agnusday.org

If I proclaim the gospel, this gives me no ground for boasting, for an obligation is laid on me, and woe betide me if I do not proclaim the gospel! For if I do this of my own will, I have a reward; but if not of my own will, I am entrusted with a commission. What then is my reward? Just this: that in my proclamation I may make the gospel free of charge, so as not to make full use of my rights in the gospel. For though I am free with respect to all, I have made myself a slave to all, so that I might win more of them. To the Jews I became as a Jew, in order to win Jews. To those under the law I became as one under the law (though I myself am not under the law) so that I might win those under the law. To those outside the law I became as one outside the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law) so that I might win those outside the law. To the weak I became weak, so that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all people, so that I might by any means save some. I do it all for the sake of the gospel, so that I may share in its blessings. (1Corinthians 9:16-23)

"I have become all things to all people, so that I might by any means save some."  What a powerful timeless statement.  Paul sought to win as many people from all around the world to Jesus Christ.  His drive matched his desire.  He put others first.  Who among us if we saw a child about to cross the street onto rushing traffic would not run to stop them?  Paul felt the same.  The freeway of sin has claimed too many lives and what are we doing about it?  Paul would say we have to do something, anything; whatever it takes. The message is still the same as the one John the Baptist and Jesus preached:  Repent, for the kingdom of Heaven is at hand.  I always read both the traditional version and the modern version.  If I don't use the modern version I borrow a verse to make it the title, and today's just jumped out at me, verse 23 in The Message:  "I did all this because of the Message. I didn't just want to talk about it; I wanted to be in on it!"  Yes, indeed in on it.  There's such a difference in talking about something and quite another in being in on it.  I remember my first year as an intern, our church was doing outreach work in one of the poorest sections of the state's poorest counties.  It began by our taking drinking water to them.  We then worked with county officials to get them electricity and the basic infrastructures for decent living.  Crime before we got there averaged a stabbing or shooting per week.  As we shared these needed things and started praying with people, the crime rate dropped.  When the work began, our senior pastor, The Rev. Jose Galindo heard this important word from them; "Don't just come and do good and leave, be a part of us."  And that's what he and the church did and it made all the difference in the world.

You and I are called to identify with those whom God may lead to us.  We don't abandon our beliefs and practices, but we seek to fully understand and even, if possible, become like them in knowing how to best share Jesus with them.  You read about Paul's list of those whom he targeted and won; we should do the same.  Is it a quilting friend you have that needs Jesus?  Learn more about quilting, sit down, quilt and share Jesus.  Is it a rancher friend?  Share Jesus in ways that they will understand, identify with and accept.  All for the sake of Jesus.  Do it today right where you are, with those who are around you.  If you don't have a group, get out and share.  If you're limited by age or condition, pray for those who are at work around you; that's a needed ministry as well.  Bottom line:  Do something! Don't just talk about it - Be in on it!

PRAYER:  Loving God, help us to be helpers.  Allow us to become something for someone that needs you.  This we pray in Christ Jesus' strong name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!  Step outside your comfort zone to become someone who helps and blesses others.

Eradio Valverde

PRAYER REQUESTS AND UPDATES:  Dear friend, thank you for your prayers.  Faithful prayers bless not on the ones for whom we are praying, they bless us.  Who among us does not need a blessing?  Please pray for Jeannette Mayer undergoing an eye procedure today in San Antonio.  Prayers for the Ellis Family as today is the funeral of baby Joaquin Ellis.  Prayers of safe travel for Pastor Matt as he returns from there later today.  Prayers for continued healing for those in recovery:  I spoke with Charlotte Wilson who is home now from the hospital.  She got home on Sunday and needs our prayers as home health works with her and helps with mobility challenges. Prayers for Dick Goss who is recovering well, that healing may continue.  I dropped in to check on him just as they were about to call me to drop by.  (God works!).  Rosannah Green is coming along and will be in church again soon. For these and all who are on your heart, lift a prayer.  May the Lord bless and keep you is my prayer.