Thursday, February 27, 2020

A Clean Slate!

Image from lemberglaw.com

Hear Here: http://bit.ly/3c98EXb

1 Count yourself lucky, how happy you must be - you get a fresh start, your slate's wiped clean. 2 Count yourself lucky - God holds nothing against you and you're holding nothing back from him. 3 When I kept it all inside, my bones turned to powder, my words became daylong groans. 4 The pressure never let up; all the juices of my life dried up. 5 Then I let it all out; I said, "I'll make a clean breast of my failures to God." Suddenly the pressure was gone - my guilt dissolved, my sin disappeared. 6 These things add up. Every one of us needs to pray; when all hell breaks loose and the dam bursts we'll be on high ground, untouched. 7 God's my island hideaway, keeps danger far from the shore, throws garlands of hosannas around my neck. 8 Let me give you some good advice; I'm looking you in the eye and giving it to you straight: 9 "Don't be ornery like a horse or mule that needs bit and bridle to stay on track." 10 God-defiers are always in trouble; God-affirmers find themselves loved every time they turn around. 11 Celebrate God. Sing together - everyone! All you honest hearts, raise the roof! (Psalm 32 The Message)

I'm old enough, and I guess was poor enough, to remember the days when bill collectors roamed our streets knocking on doors. Merchants would hire these guys to come and knock on the doors of those who owed money and demand payment. I also remember sharing stories with friends about proper procedures for those dreaded knocks on the door. At the time, and I guess till now, they made us laugh. Shhh! and a finger to the mouth, would warn the smaller children that to give away our location would mean the bill collector would not easily go away. Those were rough days for our parents and neighbors. Debt was a constant and one not easily removed. Just like sin.

Yet, hear the words of the psalmist in this psalm. So awesome to hear words like "fresh start," "your slate's wiped clean." And even better, "God hold nothing against you, and you're holding nothing back from Him." And hear again, "Suddenly the pressure was gone - my guilt dissolved, my sin disappeared." And his admonition, "God-defilers are always in trouble; God-affirmers find themselves loved every time they turn around." All of this is true and all of this is possible. And this is part of the Lenten journey. We can make amends with God and with ourselves. Our sin, like our debt, when paid, is removed. Then let us all, "Celebrate God. Sing together - everyone! All your honest hearts, raise the roof!" Indeed!

PRAYER: Loving God, for the memories of the past, we are blessed, but more so by the way our debts and our sins were removed. We thank You for Jesus, Who removed our sin. As we journey with Him may our sins be taken away and make us move closer to You. This we pray in Christ Jesus' strong name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! Share hope with someone today!

Receive my blessings of peace and love,

Pastor Eradio Valverde