Tuesday, September 06, 2022

Chief Among Sinners

Image from agnusday.org

Hear the podcast here: https://anchor.fm/eradio-valverde/episodes/Chief-Among-Sinners-e1neej8

12 I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength because he considered me faithful. So he appointed me to ministry 13 even though I used to speak against him, attack his people, and I was proud. But I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and without faith. 14 Our Lord's favor poured all over me along with the faithfulness and love that are in Christ Jesus. 15 This saying is reliable and deserves full acceptance: "Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners"—and I'm the biggest sinner of all. 16 But this is why I was shown mercy, so that Christ Jesus could show his endless patience to me first of all. So I'm an example for those who are going to believe in him for eternal life. 17 Now to the king of the ages, to the immortal, invisible, and only God, may honor and glory be given to him forever and always! Amen. (1Timothy 1:12-17 Common English Bible)

Going to college was a major adventure for me, as I'm sure it was for you. I entered into a world I knew nothing about. I was asked at registration how many hours I wanted to take and being the son of a hard-working blue collar man, of course, I said forty. After the laughter died down and the counselor explained the realities of college-level work, I settled for fifteen. I felt this was going to be easy! I learned about blue books being the thing to buy on exam day, and not the odd text I had spent $100 on; and I learned about the posting of grades by Social Security numbers. The first trip to the board that had the grades was a slow, cautious, nervous one. So nervous in fact, I thought I had forgotten the first and only number I had memorized; and once I remembered it, there was the grade, my grade! As the Apostle Paul saw the listing of sins in his mind, his sins and his very name, were on top. Paul as chief sinner! And this makes me nervous because my name, full legal name should be listed as the chief sinner, and not hidden behind my SSN!

Paul lists a summary of his sins. "I used to speak against Him. I attacked His people. I was proud." Paul knew, as do I, and should you, that sin leads to death; any jury would convict us and find us guilty and sentence us to death, but Paul said first, "I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, Who has given me strength because He considered me faithful. So He appointed me to ministry." Wow! That is my story and the story of so many. We have, like Paul, been shown mercy because we too, acted in ignorance and without faith. God's mercy lifted us up from certain death to abundant life. And why? Because, "Jesus Christ came into the world to save sinners." Amen, and thank God!

It is here that Paul inserted his declaration that he was chief among sinners, "--and I'm the biggest sinner of all." (v.15) And Paul understood this was part of the plan; God chose Paul to show His mercy and Jesus' endless patience to him, first of all. Paul was okay being an example for all to come to faith. Dear ones, please keep in mind this letter was written to a young, up-and-coming leader, Timothy, whom Paul wanted to encourage and educate, so that he too, could preach and convert as many people as he could. Paul was secure in his role, and even in the upcoming end of his life; but his mission was to encourage all he could, to come to faith in Jesus and into the new life that Jesus offers.

Jesus' love never changes, nor ends. Jesus' desire to have me, and you, home like the shepherd who lost his sheep, and the woman who lost her coin; what's keeping us from surrendering to God? God's call to us never fades nor silences; God calls all the more lovingly, and steadily, that we should come home to God. We can scram like the lamb in the song, but returning home means more in the long run. Sinner, consider giving your heart to Jesus today!

PRAYER: Loving God, I surrender to You and Your love. I am tired of running and I need the feel of grace that my soul desparately needs. I need You as my Lord and Savior. I repent of my sins and want my name off the chief sinners' list, and on the list of the redeemed. Hear my plea, in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! YOUR CALL TO ACTION: Surrender your life, get a party started in Heaven, then go find others who need parties to start in their lives!

Receive my love and blessings,

Pastor Eradio Valverde, Jr.