Tuesday, September 13, 2022

The Power of Praying for Everyone!

Image from crosswalk.com

Hear the devotional here: https://anchor.fm/eradio-valverde/episodes/The-Power-of-Praying-for-All-People-e1no6o8

1 First of all, then, I ask that requests, prayers, petitions, and thanksgiving be made for all people. 2 Pray for kings and everyone who is in authority so that we can live a quiet and peaceful life in complete godliness and dignity. 3 This is right and it pleases God our savior, 4 who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth. 5 There is one God and one mediator between God and humanity, the human Christ Jesus, 6 who gave himself as a payment to set all people free. This was a testimony that was given at the right time. 7 I was appointed to be a preacher and apostle of this testimony—I'm telling the truth and I'm not lying! I'm a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and truth. (1 Timothy 2:1-7 Common English Bible)

A gracious greeting and blessings to you, dear Friend, praying that God's rich grace envelope you and yours, and may He guide you to faithfulness and fruitfulness. May we continue to pray for Linda and George Barcus; if I get an update before this mails, I will share that with you. Pray for one another, pray for your enemies and those who oppose you. Pray for your friends and coworkers; and pray for the Lord's work to be done among you, with you doing your part. Amen.

The first, most effective, and necessary way to do your part is to pray. Prayer is such a gracious gift from God. Jesus used it all the time; in fact so much so, that his disciples asked Jesus how to pray. John the Baptist was also one who prayed, and who taught his disciples to pray. The Twelve asked Jesus to teach them because John had already done so for his. Who taught you how to pray? Or, did you learn from watching others in your life pray? I was taught by my grandmother, Petra, whom I lovingly called Momo. The most vivid memory I have of needing to pray was when my collie, who loved to chase cars, chased a Coca-Cola truck and was hit by it. I remember Momo picking up Lassie (guess why (I named her that!) and telling me I needed to pray. We knelt down and prayed. Lassie died. But still I knew I had a resource of comfort and might. And prayer became a regular part of my life. I saw my mother pray. I saw and heard my father pray. Then the day came when I was asked to pray in church. and I did.

Prayer is a connection point between God and us. God's line is never busy, God is always available. God also answers every prayer. Not always the way we request or how we'd like, but God answers prayer. Yes, it makes for interesting country songs, but theologically it does not. The Apostle Paul was a believer in prayer. He first learned the rote prayers of his faith, but later when on the road to Damascus, he encountered the living Jesus, Who told Paul he would receive further instructions while he prayed. It was during the prayer that Paul learned a man named Ananias could come and pray for him and his sight would be restored. It was through prayer that Jesus showed Paul all that he was to do, endure, and even how he was to die. And Paul still said yes.

Paul taught his converts how to pray and this part of his letter to his young disciple tells him who to pray for. Paul says, pray for ALL people, with requests, prayers, petitions, and thanksgiving. Paul says prayers for kings and those who are in authority should also be lifted up, with the intent being "that we can live a quiet and peaceful life in complete godliness and dignity." Paul knew this to be pleasing to God, because Paul knew that God wants all people saved and who will then possess a knowledge of the truth. Paul affirms his faith in one God and one "mediator between God and humanity," his Lord, Jesus. "Jesus gave Himself as a payment to set ALL people free, and to that ministry, he, Paul, was called. This we know Paul took seriously and did with all his courage and might. Paul was the teacher to the Gentiles of the Christian faith and truth. And, you and I are called to be a part of that ministry as well.

PRAYER: Loving Father, we are thankful to Paul and those who came after him to share with us our faith and salvation. May we take seriously our mission to share God's love with all people, and let us start now with our prayers, to reach the world for Him; in Christ Jesus we pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord. YOUR CALL TO ACTION: Pray for all people with requests, petitions and thanksgiving; may our prayers bless all people!

Receive my love and peace,

Pastor Eradio Valverde, Jr.