Monday, April 03, 2023

New Commandment Thursday

Image from kairosblog.com

Hear the devotional here: https://bit.ly/40XQTTx

View the devotional here: https://bit.ly/3nIzFeg

1 It was just before the Passover Festival. Jesus knew that the hour had come for him to leave this world and go to the Father. Having loved his own who were in the world, he loved them to the end. 2 The evening meal was in progress, and the devil had already prompted Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot, to betray Jesus. 3 Jesus knew that the Father had put all things under his power, and that he had come from God and was returning to God 4 so he got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around his waist. 5 After that, he poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples’ feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around him. 6 He came to Simon Peter, who said to him, “Lord, are you going to wash my feet?” 7 Jesus replied, “You do not realize now what I am doing, but later you will understand.” 8 “No,” said Peter, “you shall never wash my feet.” Jesus answered, “Unless I wash you, you have no part with me.” 9 “Then, Lord,” Simon Peter replied, “not just my feet but my hands and my head as well!” 10 Jesus answered, “Those who have had a bath need only to wash their feet; their whole body is clean. And you are clean, though not every one of you.” 11 For he knew who was going to betray him, and that was why he said not every one was clean. 12 When he had finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place. “Do you understand what I have done for you?” he asked them. 13 “You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and rightly so, for that is what I am. 14 Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet. 15 I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. 16 Very truly I tell you, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. 17 Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them.Jesus said, “Now the Son of Man is glorified and God is glorified in him. 32 If God is glorified in him,God will glorify the Son in himself, and will glorify him at once. 33 “My children, I will be with you only a little longer. You will look for me, and just as I told the Jews, so I tell you now: Where I am going, you cannot come. 34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” (John 13:1-17, 31b-35 NIV)

Friend, it's Holy Week! I pray this is the most awesome of all weeks for you this year and that you will come to know and love God more than you thought possible. Pray that the world might know of God's love and peace this week. We shall cover the highlights of Scripture for this special week so that we might know more of God's love in action. We begin with what Jesus did on Maundy Thursday. Maundy is the Latin word for Commandment and so the devotional is called "New Commandment Thursday."

The day was set aside to remember the actions of God during the Passover, the passion over of those homes marked with the sacrificial lamb's blood, the angel fo death passed over the home, visting the unmarked homes and taking the lives of the first born in each home. This day was a day of remembrance and the meal was a reminder of the same meal God told the Israelites to eat each year to remember what God had done on their behalf. This year it would be vastly different from the traditional celebration. Jesus would claim it as His own.

Jesus, after having celebrated the meal and having spoken of the body and blood being His, rose from the table, and removed His outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around His waist. He poured water into a basin and began to wash His disciples' feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around Him. When He got to Simon Peter, who asked Jesus, "Lord, are you going to wash my feet?" It was more an exclamation of unbelief at the preposterous thing that the Master would wash the feet of the disciples. Jesus has to explain, "You do not realize now what I am doing, but later you will understand." Peter, still in disbelief refuses by saying, "No, You shall never wash my feet." Jesus explains that if he refuses this, he is refusing to be a part of this whole event and with He Himself. Peter can only say, "Then, Lord, not tjust my feet but my hands and my head as well!" Jesus then says that those who have had a bath had only the need to have their feet washed, buit not all who were present were clean, indicating the presence of Judas Iscariot, who had already set in motion his plan to betray Jesus.

When Jesus washed all the feet of HIs disciples, He asked, "Do you understand what I have done for you? You call me 'Teacher' and 'Lord', and rightly so, for that is what I am. Now that I, you Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's feet. I have set you an example that you should do as I ahve done for you. Very truly I tell you, no servant is greater than His master, nor is a messenger great than the one who sent Him." And Jesus says, "Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them."

Jesus said that the way to gloirfy Him and God, and to be faithful to God, is to do the very things that God says we should do. Jesus also states that HIs time with the disciples was limited and that where He was going they could not go, but He does give them the new commandment: Love one another. Bam! And He adds, "As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

What a concept that those who know that Jesus loves them should love others. For some it comes naturally; for others it is foreign. And sadly for others it is unknown and impossible. Jesus said, "By this everyone will know that you are my disciples." I wonder what the other thing shows whose disciples we are? If nothing else this week, dear reader, may this week show all of us active in sharing love to others even those who are not used to seeing love shown them. Let the love that Christ placed in your heart break out and bless others.

PRAYER: God of the Resurrection, make new the hearts that are currently hardened like marble and make them become hearts of love for all people. Let Holy Week burst forth with love from us to all people. May people see Jesus in us all week long, and beyond; in Christ Jesus we pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! YOUR CALL TO ACTION: Love one another!

Receive my blessings of love, love, and more love,

Pastor Eradio Valverde, Jr.