Monday, April 17, 2023

The Beautiful Walk to Emmaus

Image from holyname.info

Hear the devotional here: https://bit.ly/3UIow9P.

See the devotional here: https://bit.ly/41bjSnp

13 Now that same day two of them were going to a village called Emmaus, about seven miles from Jerusalem. 14 They were talking with each other about everything that had happened. 15 As they talked and discussed these things with each other, Jesus himself came up and walked along with them; 16 but they were kept from recognizing him. 17 He asked them, “What are you discussing together as you walk along?”They stood still, their faces downcast. 18 One of them, named Cleopas, asked him, “Are you the only one visiting Jerusalem who does not know the things that have happened there in these days?” 19 “What things?” he asked. “About Jesus of Nazareth,” they replied. “He was a prophet, powerful in word and deed before God and all the people. 20 The chief priests and our rulers handed him over to be sentenced to death, and they crucified him; 21 but we had hoped that he was the one who was going to redeem Israel. And what is more, it is the third day since all this took place. 22 In addition, some of our women amazed us. They went to the tomb early this morning 23 but didn’t find his body. They came and told us that they had seen a vision of angels, who said he was alive. 24 Then some of our companions went to the tomb and found it just as the women had said, but they did not see Jesus.” 25 He said to them, “How foolish you are, and how slow to believe all that the prophets have spoken! 26 Did not the Messiah have to suffer these things and then enter his glory?” 27 And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he explained to them what was said in all the Scriptures concerning himself. 28 As they approached the village to which they were going, Jesus continued on as if he were going farther. 29 But they urged him strongly, “Stay with us, for it is nearly evening; the day is almost over.” So he went in to stay with them. 30 When he was at the table with them, he took bread, gave thanks, broke it and began to give it to them. 31 Then their eyes were opened and they recognized him, and he disappeared from their sight. 32 They asked each other, “Were not our hearts burning within us while he talked with us on the road and opened the Scriptures to us?” 33 They got up and returned at once to Jerusalem. There they found the Eleven and those with them, assembled together 34 and saying, “It is true! The Lord has risen and has appeared to Simon.” 35 Then the two told what had happened on the way, and how Jesus was recognized by them when he broke the bread. (Luke 24:13-35 NIV)

A happy and blessed Monday dear Friend! I thank you all for your prayers for yesterday when I preached at my home church. I think I did alright in spite of my inviting the second service to the Strawberry Supper. I meant to say Spaghetti! But I'm old and my glasses are new. ha ha. I ask we continue to pray for one another; praying especially for those who have asked prayers from us. I'm pleased to report that Mrs. Elisa Gaytan who was suffering from Covid. Sunday she was able to worship in her church and we thank God for that. Pray for the world. Pray for those who seek peace.

As I led a spiritual retreat, I was amazed at the beauty around me. Lush tropical foliage, which one who had never visited a rain forest, enjoyed from the first to the last moment. Large iguanas walked the campgrounds and even as I preached or prayed, I was blown away by the huge parrots that flew close enough to us that we could have reached up and touched them. Also new to me was the constant cry of the coquí, a small tree frog from the island of Puerto Rico at which this retreat was being held. I was the spiritual director of the first Caminata a Emaus de Puerto Rico. The year was 1991 during the month of September. I took a group of ten men from my church, El Mesias UMC of Mission. The were the ten I recruited to consider going on the spiritual retreat called The Walk to Emmaus. They were very hesitant at first, but once they went, they were blessed and when I asked if they wanted to go to Puerto Rico, they graciously accepted. One of the ten was my Dad, Eradio Valverde, Sr. We all left the island after the retreat pledging we would return one day.

The retreat is based on the passage we just read. Many of us who have attended the retreat had to confess, that like the two disciples, we had our eyes closed in some way and could not see the Lord walking beside us. This is an Easter story and the retreat is very much an Easter event. And like the two disciples walking on that road, I was "foolish and slow" and did not want to attend. I had dear friends pay for my retreat registration and twice I canceled. When I finally said yes the retreat began immediately! I was told our group of six from the Valley were to fly in a small plane because one of the leaders of the retreat needed flying hours for his pilot's license. I looked at the group and knew this "small" plane might be hard pressed to carry the six of us. One buddy decided wisely that he would not be a part of the Flight to Emmaus (Which I pointed out to the sponsors of my retreat, was biblically incorrect. The subtitles of each subject show that this was a Walk to Emmaus and the only Flight was the one to Egypt. Check the subtitles! (Matthew 2;13-15). As soon as the wheels lifted off the runway, my spiritual impact started. The retreat showed me people from all around the world were praying for us! People who did not know me were praying for me by name! And every time we broke the bread of communion, Christ was made more real as we felt His presence even more.

Before I knew it it had been ten years since that Caminata en Puerto Rico and I received a very gracious invitation from the Methodist Church of Puerto Rico back for the tenth anniversary of the retreat. The scheduled date was September 11, 2001. Well, I did not have the money to attend and Nellie had a surgery scheduled for that weekend, and as the 9/11 Attack took place, we watched all events on the television in the hospital's waiting room. We also watched in disbelief as the Port Isabel Causeway collapsed that very day of her surgery. I was glad to be at her side and not stranded in the chaos that was post 9/11 here and abroad.

Our eyes need to be opened to the reality and peace of Jesus; that is an Easter event for every day of the year. Every meal we have, when we have it with others should be a re-presentation of Jesus being made real in our bread. The Lord is risen and is with us. Don't let other things blind us to that reality!

PRAYER: Father of Life, we celebrate the life You have shared with us. As we walk, walk with us and help us see You in all things. Help us help others see You in us and around us as well; in Christ Jesus we pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! YOUR CALL TO ACTION: Help other's eyes be opened to Jesus in our midst.

Receive my blessings of joy and peace, Pastor Eradio Valverde, Jr.