Wednesday, December 20, 2023

Relaxing at Home, Build a Home

Image from churchoftheholycity.org

Hear devotional: https://bit.ly/478m80J

View devotional here: https://bit.ly/41qZH5N

1 Before long, the king made himself at home and God gave him peace from all his enemies. 2 Then one day King David said to Nathan the prophet, "Look at this: Here I am, comfortable in a luxurious house of cedar, and the Chest of God sits in a plain tent." 3 Nathan told the king, "Whatever is on your heart, go and do it. God is with you." 4 But that night, the word of God came to Nathan saying, 5 "Go and tell my servant David: This is God's word on the matter: You're going to build a 'house' for me to live in? 6 Why, I haven't lived in a 'house' from the time I brought the children of Israel up from Egypt till now. All that time I've moved about with nothing but a tent. 7 And in all my travels with Israel, did I ever say to any of the leaders I commanded to shepherd Israel, 'Why haven't you built me a house of cedar?' 8 "So here is what you are to tell my servant David: The God-of-the-Angel-Armies has this word for you: I took you from the pasture, tagging along after sheep, and made you prince over my people Israel. 9 I was with you everywhere you went and mowed your enemies down before you. Now I'm making you famous, to be ranked with the great names on earth. 10 And I'm going to set aside a place for my people Israel and plant them there so they'll have their own home and not be knocked around any more. Nor will evil men afflict you as they always have, 11 even during the days I set judges over my people Israel. Finally, I'm going to give you peace from all your enemies. 16 Your family and your kingdom are permanently secured. I'm keeping my eye on them! And your royal throne will always be there, rock solid." (2 Samuel 7:1-11, 16 The Message Bible)

A most wonderful of Wednesdays to you, dear Reader. May the peace of Christ reign in your heart, and may the grace of God rein in your faith. Please pray for one another, remember those who have asked prayers from us. Pray for the world and its needs. Pray that those who do not yet know Jesus would come to know Him.

We come to a passage where King David has found a time for rest after God gave him peace from his enemies. It is during this downtime that David reflects on his blessings, such as this new wooden home that he has and thinks that he should build a new home for God. He was concerned that the Ark of the Lord was in a tent. And David's desire is to make it be a cedar home, just like his palace.

God responds through the prophet Nathan and it is a surprising response, :"Is it for me you're building this elaborate house? I've never lived in a fancy house, not even for a day, since I brought Israel out of Egypt!" We can't but help imagining the prophet's eyes twinkling with the divine wisdom God imparted to him to correct the king's misunderstanding.

Instead of focusing on a literal house, God reminds David of his true dwelling place: the hearts of his people. He declares, "I've been with you wherever you've gone, helping you with everything you've done. And now, here's what I promise you, David, my anointed servant: I'm going to establish your dynasty forever. Your offspring will sit on the throne, generation after generation. I'll be their father, and they'll be my sons and daughters." (Think of a family tree, its branches stretching far into the future, symbolizing the enduring legacy of David's dynasty.)

Here's out takeaway for today: The priority of God: God cares more about our hearts than the elaborate houses we build for Him. God desires a genuine connection; a relationship fueled by love and obedience, not grand gestures.

God's Divine Presence: God is always with us, regardless of our circumstances. God walked with David through the wilderness and into the palace, and He walks with us through our triumphs and struggles alike.

Enduring Legacy: Lasting legacies are not built on brick and mortar, but onm the impact we have on the lives of others. David's legacy wasn't the temple he never built, but the dynasty he established and the people he faithfully served.

Eternal Covenant: The promises of God are eternal. Like the covenant He made with David, His promises of love, guidance, and provision hold true for us as well.

If we should find ourselves too relaxed with grand schemes for God, remember it's the loving and caring for one another that matter most to God. We shouldn't stop dreaming big for God, but in the meantime, we have lots of meaningful work to do right now with the ones with whom we interact day after day.

PRAYER: Loving God, forgive us for our tendency to get caught up in outward appearances and forget the importance of a genuine relationship with You. Help us to remember that You dwell within our hearts, not in the houses we build. Fill our hearts with Your love, Your presence, and Your truth. Guide us to leave a legacy of love and service, not of worldly accomplishments. Thank you for Your promises that never fail, for Your love that never fades, and for Your constant presence in our lives. It is in Jesus' strong name we pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord. YOUR CALL TO ACTION: Carry the lessons of this passage into our daily living, focusing on cultivating a heart dedicated to God, and leaving a legacy of love and service in His name.

Receive my love for you and my thankfulness to God for you!

Pastor Eradio Valverde, Jr.