Monday, April 22, 2024

Live In Jesus

Image from youtube.com

Hear the devotional: https://bit.ly/4b3A5PN

View the devotional: https://bit.ly/3W86sZl

1 "I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinegrower. 2 He removes every branch in me that bears no fruit. Every branch that bears fruit he prunes to make it bear more fruit. 3 You have already been cleansed by the word that I have spoken to you. 4 Abide in me as I abide in you. Just as the branch cannot bear fruit by itself unless it abides in the vine, neither can you unless you abide in me. 5 I am the vine, you are the branches. Those who abide in me and I in them bear much fruit, because apart from me you can do nothing. 6 Whoever does not abide in me is thrown away like a branch and withers; such branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. 7 If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask for whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. 8 My Father is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit and become my disciples. (John 15:1-8 NIV Bible)

Well hello, Friend, welcome back! I hope you had a great weekend. Our weekend got better when we got word that our son-in-law Eric Cortez was released from the hospital after a three night stay. The medicines given him helped his obstruction go down and he's back almost to normal, thanks to God and thanks to all of you who prayed for him. Please pray for one another and pray for those who have asked prayers from us.

Among my favorite fruits, the grape is way up there. I love the white grapes when they are in season. I love the purple and red ones too. And as a boy I enjoyed the movies where the star would be fed grapes from the cluster. And I believe grapes were also a favorite of Jesus' besides figs, for they were used to make this passage more understandable. Jesus declares Himself as "the true vine, and my Father is the vinegrower." Those in His audience understood the science and mechanics of this statement: The vinegrower owns the vines, and the vines produce and support the grapes. It was an everyday understanding for most in the crowd. What they may not have expected was the following comment, "He removes every branch in me that bears no fruit." Ouch! Those branches who are not doing what they were created to do find themselves removed. Jesus then says, "Every branch that bears fruit He prunes to make it bear more fruit," meaning God is at work in those who are working, so that the harvest is great. And we know that to be true that God blesses those who are bringing new believers into the fold.

Jesus then continues in explaining that which was happening in them and around them. "You have already been cleansed by the word that I have spoken to you." The process includes this cleansing, for it makes the believer more of the realm of God than that of the world. And it is also part of the initiation into the realm of Christ, for as He says, "Abide in me as I abide in you," Jesus is saying life lived in Him is the best and to have Him live in us is to be blessed by God in an incredible way.

Notice how Jesus emphasizes the necessity of remaining in Him. He speaks not of occasional visits or momentary connections, but of a continuous, abiding relationship. Just as a branch severed from the vine withers and dies, so too do we, spiritually, when we disconnect from Christ.

Moreover, Jesus speaks of the Father’s pruning. While pruning may seem painful or unnecessary, it is essential for fruitfulness. The Father lovingly removes what hinders our growth, refining and shaping us for greater productivity in His kingdom.

Our fruitfulness is not solely for our benefit but for God's glory. Through our lives, marked by love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control (Galatians 5:22-23), we bear witness to the transforming power of Christ within us.

PRAYER: Gracious Father, thank You for grafting us into the vine, Jesus Christ. Help us to abide in Him daily, drawing strength and sustenance from His life-giving presence. Grant us the grace to embrace Your pruning, trusting in Your wisdom and love. May our lives bear abundant fruit, bringing glory to Your name. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord. YOUR CALL TO ACTION: Make a commitment to deepen your relationship with Jesus through prayer, Scripture reading, and fellowship with other believers, while pruning that from your life that is hindering you from truly living in Jesus!

I love you and thank God for you!

Pastor Eradio Valverde, Jr.