Monday, September 18, 2006

A FULL HOUSE

Good day dear friends.

Yesterday we started a new series entitled, "1st Century Christians with 21st Century Problems: A Study of the Church in Corinth." The first sermon was "Divisions Over Personality and Doctrine." Using the verses of 1 Cor 1:10-17, we studied the problems associated with people being divided over personal loyalties and teachings received by different preachers. This study will show us that there is no perfect church, not then, not now. And the reason is that we make up the church. Jesus meant to say, as I shared yesterday, "where two or three are gathered, there will be problems!"

Here is our study guide for today: Monday: Review your notes from yesterday and see how this speaks to your situation in your church. Is the church sharing a common mission or do you sense it doesn’t have a true sense of the mission? Please read Luke 14:16-24. Read there what the responses were to a common mission when invited.

Let's read from 1 Cor 1:10 10 I appeal to you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another so that there may be no divisions among you and that you may be perfectly united in mind and thought. 11 My brothers, some from Chloe's household have informed me that there are quarrels among you. 12 What I mean is this: One of you says, "I follow Paul"; another, "I follow Apollos"; another, "I follow Cephas{[12] That is, Peter}"; still another, "I follow Christ." 13 Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized into the name of Paul? 14 I am thankful that I did not baptize any of you except Crispus and Gaius, 15 so no one can say that you were baptized into my name. 16 (Yes, I also baptized the household of Stephanas; beyond that, I don't remember if I baptized anyone else.) 17 For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel--not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.

Some highlights from that passage from yesterday: Di-vision means having double vision. If you've ever had blurry or double vision, you know you can't see clearly. If a church has double vision, they miss the leading of God and cannot agree on where it is that God would have them go. We were baptized in the name of one God, with one mission and vision; called to share the good news of God's love through Jesus Christ.

The Luke passage says this: 14:16
Jesus replied: "A certain man was preparing a great banquet and invited many guests. 17 At the time of the banquet he sent his servant to tell those who had been invited, 'Come, for everything is now ready.' 18 "But they all alike began to make excuses. The first said, 'I have just bought a field, and I must go and see it. Please excuse me.' 19 "Another said, 'I have just bought five yoke of oxen, and I'm on my way to try them out. Please excuse me.' 20 "Still another said, 'I just got married, so I can't come.' 21 "The servant came back and reported this to his master. Then the owner of the house became angry and ordered his servant, 'Go out quickly into the streets and alleys of the town and bring in the poor, the crippled, the blind and the lame.' 22 "'Sir,' the servant said, 'what you ordered has been done, but there is still room.' 23 "Then the master told his servant, 'Go out to the roads and country lanes and make them come in, so that my house will be full. 24 I tell you, not one of those men who were invited will get a taste of my banquet.'"

Jesus used this passage as an illustration of how not everyone will come to Him nor to what He offers through His church. The excuses are great: Problems with property, job stresses, family matters, etc. In the parable, the servant reports this to the Master and the master then expands the invitation to include those who normally (for whatever reason) would not be invited to the banquet. The Master's desire is that his "house will be full." (v. 23).

I shared how it doesn't take much for church members to give off the wrong impression of their church to visitors or potential visitors. In the contemporary worship service it may one's favorite song is not sung often enough and the person wanting the song may say, "They never sing my favorite song, I don't like this church!" A visitor or potential visitor may ask, "What did you say about your church?" "That I don't like it!" And the same may be true about a quarrel or discussion about another issue such as the air conditioning is either too cold or too hot or "the preacher keeps us too long after 12!" And a visitor may ask, "What did you say about your church?" "That I don't like it!" And that's all it takes and the Master's house will not be full.

Most problems in the church begin with personal problems one may be facing at home or at work. We must not carry over those to the worship house of God. We should set those things aside so that the full blessing of being in the presence of God would be ours. Paul knew that God wanted his house full and so he writes these members in Corinth asking them to set aside differences and be united together to worship and serve God. Each person that makes up the church should see themselves as brother and sisters with other members. We're not enemies to each other, the enemy remains the same, he would "kill, steal, and destroy." (Jn 10:10).

PRAYER: Loving God, share anew the vision of Your church to me. Let me realize who I am and who I need to be to make your house full. I seek to do Your will and not mine. Help me to set aside quarrels and arguments so that I may serve You. I pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

Have a great and blessed day!

e.v.