Thursday, November 05, 2009

35 GOSPEL ACCORDING TO PAUL: THE GOD OF HOPE


Lord of the day, may this day be a day of wonderful discoveries for this dear reader; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Here's our text: Romans 15:1-13:

1 We who are strong ought to put up with the failings of the weak, and not to please ourselves. 2 Each of us must please our neighbor for the good purpose of building up the neighbor. 3 For Christ did not please himself; but, as it is written, "The insults of those who insult you have fallen on me." 4 For whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction, so that by steadfastness and by the encouragement of the scriptures we might have hope. 5 May the God of steadfastness and encouragement grant you to live in harmony with one another, in accordance with Christ Jesus, 6 so that together you may with one voice glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. 7 Welcome one another, therefore, just as Christ has welcomed you, for the glory of God. 8 For I tell you that Christ has become a servant of the circumcised on behalf of the truth of God in order that he might confirm the promises given to the patriarchs, 9 and in order that the Gentiles might glorify God for his mercy. As it is written, "Therefore I will confess you among the Gentiles, and sing praises to your name"; 10 and again he says, "Rejoice, O Gentiles, with his people"; 11 and again, "Praise the Lord, all you Gentiles, and let all the peoples praise him"; 12 and again Isaiah says, "The root of Jesse shall come, the one who rises to rule the Gentiles; in him the Gentiles shall hope." 13 May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.

One of the things that I love about being a minister is dealing with hope. I love to discover amazing things that happen when others said they could not. I love standing with folks as dreams come true and prayers get answered. I stand amazed when the impossible becomes real. This was part of Paul's message today. Those with hope should never abandon it, but need to share it with those who suffer from a lack of it. We belong to God! The God of life and love, the God who made all things. The God who not only owns the cattle on the hills, He owns the hills! Look at verse 4: "For whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction, so that by steadfastness and by the encouragement of the scriptures we might have hope." My oldest granddaughter surprised us with a visit (oh yes, her mom and dad are here too - I forget!) and so in the short time she's been here I've tried to be with you, talk with her and show her movies whose characters she loves. I discovered she has "railroad blood" just like her great-great-great grandfather, great-grandfather and grandfather (it skips a generation it seems). Those mentioned have all worked or volunteered in railroading, so when I saw her fascination with trains I had to show her a movie I just recently saw, "Polar Express." I had resisted watching it because of its format and thought it looked sort of creepy, but at Wednesday night fellowship several said it was a "have-to" movie and so I borrowed it. It is a great movie (okay, it's a great Christmas movie) about a train that helps children have hope. It arrives on the eve of discovering the truth about Santa and that's all I'm going to say about it. It takes children to a place where they receive hope.

Paul says the Bible is such a vehicle. We can climb aboard and ride for the adventure of a lifetime and receive on that journey amazing hope. Or we can gripe that it seems to be blocking traffic just when we need to be getting somewhere else. I've climbed aboard. All aboard?

PRAYER: God of hope, share with me again and again the gift of hope. May Your presence, Your actions in my life, and Your Word share with me anew those promises of hope when I most need it. Let today begin a great adventure of hope. I pray this in He who brings hope anew, Jesus Christ my Lord and Savior, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord.

Eradio Valverde