Wednesday, November 11, 2009

GO EAT PEACHES AND CREAM!


Lord of life, breathe the fullness of life into the needs of this dear reader; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Yesterday we concluded our study of Romans and for today I thought we'd "Go Eat Peaches & Cream," (a learning device of the order of Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, and Colossians. Yes, I said we'd start with Ephesians, but we need to "GO" first.

Here is our beginning text for today: Galatians 1: 1-10

Paul an apostle—sent neither by human commission nor from human authorities, but through Jesus Christ and God the Father, who raised him from the dead— 2 and all the members of God's family who are with me, To the churches of Galatia: 3 Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ, 4 who gave himself for our sins to set us free from the present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father, 5 to whom be the glory forever and ever. Amen. 6 I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— 7 not that there is another gospel, but there are some who are confusing you and want to pervert the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we or an angel from heaven should proclaim to you a gospel contrary to what we proclaimed to you, let that one be accursed! 9 As we have said before, so now I repeat, if anyone proclaims to you a gospel contrary to what you received, let that one be accursed! 10 Am I now seeking human approval, or God's approval? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still pleasing people, I would not be a servant of Christ.

I had dropped off Nellie at her school, Robert E. Lee in Dallas, Texas, and I was making my way to the seminary when the radio station announced the death of drummer Keith Moon of the British rock group The Who and proceeded to play "Who Are You?" At the time it was a sad announcement as The Who has been one of my favorite groups, and this then-new song was my favorite of what I thought would be their last album. The title is fitting for today's text; Who Are You? Paul anwers the question as he begins to address his brothers and sisters in Galatia. Some believe Galatia is as much a geographical location as it is a political one. These believers were a result of his preaching there on his first missionary trip through that region and so he cares about them. He has also heard that discussion and arguments have arisen about salvation and sanctification. Can a man/woman "save" themselves? The clear answer, of course, is no, we're too weak. Paul will address this and other topics through our study, but for today he reminds them of who he is. As a pastor from time to time, especially the first Staff-Parish Relations Committee meeting of the year, I like to remind them who I am. I share a little of my call into ministry and the education I've received that allows me to serve as pastor, along with the ordinations I received to be a fulltime minister. Paul is doing the same. Paul's authority he explains, has come from God, not any man. In a real way, most of us have received the same through our baptism and our participation in church. God has shared with us that calling to be in ministry (fulltime!) to sharing the Good News with others. Paul's urgency is no less present today as we continue to read and experience the falling away of so many from following and doing the will of God.

Paul shares grace and peace, needed daily ingredients for a great day (not to mention life) and he reminds them again of just what God did through Jesus Christ His Son: v. 4 "gave himself for our sins to set us free from the present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father." Our sins are taken away and our lives free from the demands and pressures of this "present evil age." For Paul that means rejoicing and giving thanks for having a better option for living our lives. It also means our responsibility is to share those great news with others; to be a believe is not to be of a secret cult, it's one of the most public groups to which we can belong. Yet, Paul continues, I hear that many of you are so quickly and easily walking away from Jesus towards a "different gospel," not that one truly exists apart from the one we heard and received. Some were going back to "hide" in the law and some were attracted to the gnostic view of Christianity (a different man-centered view). Whatever their reasons, Paul says he remains true to God not for human approval, but only for God's approval.

Who are you? How do you live your life? Do you seek to be approved by everyone as a people-pleaser or do you seek to do what you know God desires? Do you easily share your faith in such a way that others are responding? Do you at least invite someone to church from time to time?

PRAYER: Lord God, I thank you for the life and writings of your servant Paul. May life model such a faithfulness in the joy and excitement and commitment he held for You. May I have the boldness to share my life in a way that saves lives. I ask this in Jesus Christ's precious and powerful name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde