Thursday, November 19, 2009

GO: CHRIST LIVING IN US; SAVED BY FAITH NOT WORKS


God of peace and patience, visit this dear reader with those two precious gifts in all they may need today; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Our text for today comes from Galatians 2:11-21: But when Cephas came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face, because he stood self-condemned; 12 for until certain people came from James, he used to eat with the Gentiles. But after they came, he drew back and kept himself separate for fear of the circumcision faction. 13 And the other Jews joined him in this hypocrisy, so that even Barnabas was led astray by their hypocrisy. 14 But when I saw that they were not acting consistently with the truth of the gospel, I said to Cephas before them all, "If you, though a Jew, live like a Gentile and not like a Jew, how can you compel the Gentiles to live like Jews?" 15 We ourselves are Jews by birth and not Gentile sinners; 16 yet we know that a person is justified not by the works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ. And we have come to believe in Christ Jesus, so that we might be justified by faith in Christ, and not by doing the works of the law, because no one will be justified by the works of the law. 17 But if, in our effort to be justified in Christ, we ourselves have been found to be sinners, is Christ then a servant of sin? Certainly not! 18 But if I build up again the very things that I once tore down, then I demonstrate that I am a transgressor. 19 For through the law I died to the law, so that I might live to God. I have been crucified with Christ; 20 and it is no longer I who live, but it is Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. 21 I do not nullify the grace of God; for if justification comes through the law, then Christ died for nothing.

One of the things that scares parents is how much our children learn from us from the very first day. I've shared how when my girls were born I spoke to screaming babies and upon hearing my voice they stopped and looked around as if to say, "Hey, I know that voice!" I was pleasantly surprised that that also happened with my two grandkids; Saraí Evangelina lived with us before her birth, and Liam from hearing Grandpa preach every Sunday, both knew my voice and stopped to listen to see who this voice belonged to. I tell parents at the brief Baptism class that I hold, that in a very real way their having chosen to baptize their child may be the last spiritual decision they make for their child; the decision to become a Professing Member of our Church will have to come from them, but that the child is already learning from them, so for them to show how real and important God is and to show that by living that way.

Paul saw in Peter, above called Cephas, a life that was not quite the Gospel and he told him so. This issue was whether a person had to become a Jew first, then a Christian or if the two were separate. Peter lived a life in the presence of those in Antioch as one who was a Jew primarily and wanted the others to do so as well. Paul didn't buy it and spoke of the importance of realizing that our faith comes by faith not by works. We can be the hardest workers in the church, first there and last to leave, but that will count for nothing if we do not have faith. After we confess Jesus as Lord and Savior, we must invite Him in and then allow Christ to live in us a life that is the Gospel to others. That will be the best and most important sermon or witness we can give to others. That will show how real and important Christ is to us.

PRAYER: Loving God, help me today receive You as Lord and Savior. I have faith in You and I invite You into my heart and life. Live in me and through me so that my hands become Your hands, Your thoughts become my thoughts, my deeds become those guided by You. I pray especially for those on My Most Wanted List of those who I know need You and have not yet realized and accepted Your great love; may my life make a difference in their lives today. I ask this in Your precious Name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord.

Eradio Valverde