Wednesday, February 10, 2010

CHRIST IS OUR REASON FOR BEING


God of love and grace, pour out that which this dear reader needs in the face of whatever challenges and opportunities may come their way; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Here is our text for today from Colossians 1:13-23:He has rescued us from the power of darkness and transferred us into the kingdom of his beloved Son, 14 in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins. 15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation; 16 for in him all things in heaven and on earth were created, things visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or powers—all things have been created through him and for him. 17 He himself is before all things, and in him all things hold together. 18 He is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, so that he might come to have first place in everything. 19 For in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell, 20 and through him God was pleased to reconcile to himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, by making peace through the blood of his cross. 21 And you who were once estranged and hostile in mind, doing evil deeds, 22 he has now reconciled in his fleshly body through death, so as to present you holy and blameless and irreproachable before him— 23 provided that you continue securely established and steadfast in the faith, without shifting from the hope promised by the gospel that you heard, which has been proclaimed to every creature under heaven. I, Paul, became a servant of this gospel.

I remember struggling during my teenage years with the question Why am I here? Perhaps you did as well or may be wrestling with that even now. I don't know why I asked that question but I asked it. I know it was part of my growing up and part of me asking that question as I wrestled with what to do with my life. I thank God for the Christian background that I had received from my mom and dad and from my years in church, but reaching out and receiving what was being offered was what I needed to do. Paul shares here what has been the basis of many a book and millions of sermons: We were created by God through Christ for God's love and service. As we realize that and submit lovingly to that our meaning and purpose in life become clearer. We become those who know the Why and the Who behind life and realize we have a lot to share with others because of it. Paul presents it in a way that I call a homecoming. A reunion party of the like Jesus described in the return home of the Prodigal Son. Look at verse 21 and 22 again, "(We or I) who were once estranged and hostile in mind, doing evil deeds, He has now reconciled in His fleshly body through death, so as to present (us)(me) holy and blameless and irreproachable before Him."

We can keep running away from God in so many ways, even while seated in a pew; but know this dear friend, that when we hear that God loves you, why don't you come home? There's no better place to be!

PRAYER: Father, I thank You that while I ran, You ran with me. When I tired of running and turned towards home, You were there and You guided me straight into Your arms. Receive this dear reader as he or she stops their running and turn towards You. I ask this in the precious and powerful name of Jesus Christ, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde