Wednesday, February 24, 2010

CHRIST OUR CONNECTION IN LOVE

Gracious God, grant to this dear reader the blessing of the fullness of life in all she or he may be facing; in Christ Jesus' name I pray, amen.

It was three years ago today that God richly blessed Nellie and I with the wonderful joy of being grandparents as we witnessed the arrival of Sarai Evangelina Cortez, daughter to our daughter Sarai Cortez and our son-in-law, Eric Cortez. What a wonderful joy of life to be grandparents!

Our text for today comes from the end of Colossians 4 as we conclude our four letter study of Go Enthusiastically Proclaim Christ (Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians): 7 Tych'icus will tell you all about my affairs; he is a beloved brother and faithful minister and fellow servant in the Lord. 8 I have sent him to you for this very purpose, that you may know how we are and that he may encourage your hearts, 9 and with him Ones'imus, the faithful and beloved brother, who is one of yourselves. They will tell you of everything that has taken place here. 10 Aristar'chus my fellow prisoner greets you, and Mark the cousin of Barnabas (concerning whom you have received instructions--if he comes to you, receive him), 11 and Jesus who is called Justus. These are the only men of the circumcision among my fellow workers for the kingdom of God, and they have been a comfort to me. 12 Ep'aphras, who is one of yourselves, a servant of Christ Jesus, greets you, always remembering you earnestly in his prayers, that you may stand mature and fully assured in all the will of God. 13 For I bear him witness that he has worked hard for you and for those in La-odice'a and in Hi-erap'olis. 14 Luke the beloved physician and Demas greet you. 15 Give my greetings to the brethren at La-odice'a, and to Nympha and the church in her house. 16 And when this letter has been read among you, have it read also in the church of the La-odice'ans; and see that you read also the letter from La-odice'a. 17 And say to Archip'pus, "See that you fulfil the ministry which you have received in the Lord." 18 I, Paul, write this greeting with my own hand. Remember my fetters. Grace be with you.

Last night I started to write a short story about my mom's letters to me while I was in college. This was in the ancient days of old when ye did not texth nor tweeth, we wrote with our own hands with pen and paper. We had real, honest-to-goodness mailboxes in the student center and I still remember the thrill of finding an honest letter in the mailbox. The only spam we knew of was the little metal tin with that meat byproduct; we had junk mail. These were flyers and brochures that announced amazing results and wonderful lives if we would only buy their product. The only difference was that in those days enhancement products were not mailed to folks. What is this we call progress? But my mother's letters were a connection of love back home. The letters sometimes included money, mostly notice that I was loved and missed back home. On those occasions that I did get a dollar or two she would write, "This is for gum, ha ha." Ha ha was the ancient equivalent of LOL. And in those days a dollar would buy a lot of gum.

Here is Paul connecting with those with he has worked and whom he loves. The connection of love is important for him as it is for us. May we strive to always in love seek to serve and glorify God. Every person Paul mentions is important. Each has served in a different capacity, but Paul views their contribution as important. Paul has been encouraged by their efforts and is encouraging them to continue on. Do we do the same with our connected ones? May we seek to see the encouragement that we are offering to others and may it ever increase. Let us also be open to seeing the encouragement in others. All for the good of Christ.

PRAYER: God of love and encouragement, bless me to be an encourager and a person of love. In Christ Jesus' Name I pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde