Monday, February 08, 2010

PROCLAIM THAT WITH AND IN CHRIST JESUS WE CAN DO ALL THINGS!


God of all victories, I celebrate the victory you will give to this dear reader in all that he or she may face today; in Christ Jesus' Name I pray, amen.

Our passage comes from Philippians 4: 10-23: 10 I rejoice in the Lord greatly that now at last you have revived your concern for me; indeed, you were concerned for me, but had no opportunity to show it. 11 Not that I am referring to being in need; for I have learned to be content with whatever I have. 12 I know what it is to have little, and I know what it is to have plenty. In any and all circumstances I have learned the secret of being well-fed and of going hungry, of having plenty and of being in need. 13 I can do all things through him who strengthens me. 14 In any case, it was kind of you to share my distress. 15 You Philippians indeed know that in the early days of the gospel, when I left Macedonia, no church shared with me in the matter of giving and receiving, except you alone. 16 For even when I was in Thessalonica, you sent me help for my needs more than once. 17 Not that I seek the gift, but I seek the profit that accumulates to your account. 18 I have been paid in full and have more than enough; I am fully satisfied, now that I have received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent, a fragrant offering, a sacrifice acceptable and pleasing to God. 19 And my God will fully satisfy every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus. 20 To our God and Father be glory forever and ever. Amen. 21 Greet every saint in Christ Jesus. The friends who are with me greet you. 22 All the saints greet you, especially those of the emperor's household. 23 The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit.

Who cares for you? We all know that of course, God cares for us and that is a wonderful feeling, but beyond the care of God you and I know how special it is to know that someone is actually doing something for us, be it prayer for us, speaking well of us, sharing concern for us, etc. Paul knew this too and as he writes the conclusion of his letter to the believers in Philppi, he shares that good feeling he has about them. Then he goes on to share how he is okay at the moment and how his faith journey has taken him from mountain to valley in terms of having and not having, being full with having had a good meal and even going hungry. The secret he knows is faith in the Lord Jesus Christ as he shares in verse 13, "I can do all things through him who strengthens me." The "him" is of course, Jesus Christ, the source of all our strength. Paul's having accepted to become a preacher of the gospel meant he would accept both the challenges and opportunities of each day, precisely because the Risen Christ was with him. I experienced the power of this scripture as I interned with a man who lived that very verse. I asked to be assigned by Perkins School of Theology (SMU) to El Mesias UMC so I could improve my preaching by serving with a man who was and is known as a great preacher. That pastor, as God would have it, was made a district superintendent and so he could not serve as my field instructor. The superintendent with whom he swapped positions would be my FI. My first day on the job had me sharing an office with the church secretary seated at what best could be described as a vanity. I'm not sure of the exact definition of that sort of furniture suffice it to say that my legs did not fit under it. The church felt that that would serve as my desk. I guess that leadership did not think I would ever need to do private counseling or much writing! My FI, the Rev. Jose Galindo, said, "Let's go find you a desk." I should add this was his second month there as pastor and we went to what was a storage room of some sort. And many of you know that sadly, many a Sunday school classroom when they cease to serve as a place for instruction becomes a storage room. There among the dust and cobwebs of neglect sat a large US-goverment issue metal desk. This became my desk. Racing through my mind was the thought, "Run! You can probably get your old job back at the phone company!" I had had that thought as I checked out the apartment that I would be staying in for my one semester as intern minister. Rev. Galindo said to me in a way that assured me that he indeed believed it, "I can do all things through Him who stengthens me." And did I need strength at that moment. Later that night as I began meeting the congregation of El Mesias I met a young lady named Nellie Rosales, with whom this month we will celebrate the 32nd year of her putting up with me.

The morning of a day does not determine the pace or result of the rest of the day; much in the same way that the evening or night; it is our faith in Christ Jesus to see us through what has come our way, to make the best or worst of it. Indeed, whatever our challenge or opportunity, we can do all things only and especially because of Christ Jesus with us. I know that this passage had a lot to do with John Wesley's Covenant Service prayer. Mr. Wesley knew that to face each New Year he had to remind himself of just who we was in God's scheme of things. Two Sundays ago our congregation said together that prayer as our reminder that indeed, we can do all things through Him who strengthens us.

PRAYER: I am no longer my own, but thine. Put me to what thou wilt, rank me with whom thou wilt. Put me to doing, put me to suffering. Let me be employed for thee or laid aside for thee, exalted for thee or brought low for thee. Let me be full, let me be empty. Let me have all things, let me have nothing. I freely and heartily yield all things to thy pleasure and disposal. And now, O glorious and blessed God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, thou art mine, and I am thine. So be it. And the covenant which I have made on earth, let it be ratified in heaven. Amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde