Wednesday, December 23, 2015

This is a Time for Singing, So, Sing!

Image from singcambridge.co.uk

Sing God a brand-new song! Earth and everyone in it, sing! Sing to God - worship God! Shout the news of his victory from sea to sea, Take the news of his glory to the lost, News of his wonders to one and all! For God is great, and worth a thousand Hallelujahs. His terrible beauty makes the gods look cheap; Pagan gods are mere tatters and rags. God made the heavens - Royal splendor radiates from him, A powerful beauty sets him apart. Bravo, God, Bravo! Everyone join in the great shout: Encore! In awe before the beauty, in awe before the might. Bring gifts and celebrate, Bow before the beauty of God, Then to your knees - everyone worship! Get out the message - God Rules! He put the world on a firm foundation; He treats everyone fair and square. Let's hear it from Sky, With Earth joining in, And a huge round of applause from Sea. Let Wilderness turn cartwheels, Animals, come dance, Put every tree of the forest in the choir - An extravaganza before God as he comes, As he comes to set everything right on earth, Set everything right, treat everyone fair. (Psalm 96)

I used to walk our two dogs in San Antonio, Lucy and Deacon. Deacon was the first gift that Nellie ever asked of me and she wanted a Golden Retriever. Lucy was a hand-me-down dog that our daughter was asked to babysit and then the owner didn't want her back. Both were great dogs. When I walked them I would sing to them, "Home on the Range." The first time I sang, Deacon looked at Lucy as if to laughingly say, "Can you get a load of this guy, trying to sing? To us??" And I would continue and sing, and every time after that as I started, Deacon had to give Lucy that knowing glance. But I love to sing, especially around this time of year. The carols and hymns for this season are awesome and I love to hear singing of these songs as often as I can. Singing is a pure expression of joy and love, and more so after reading this modern version of the ancient psalm.

We should use our voices to praise God and to tell others of the joy and love we have found in God. Our celebrations are missing a key element if we don't sing.

The message today: Sing! It'll do your heart (and God's!) good!

PRAYER: I love you, Lord! Let me make a joyful and loving noise as I sing today.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord as you stop right now to sing!

Love,

Eradio Valverde