Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Live Wisely!

Image from youtube.com

Be careful then how you live, not as unwise people but as wise, making the most of the time, because the days are evil. So do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. Do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery; but be filled with the Spirit, as you sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs among yourselves, singing and making melody to the Lord in your hearts, giving thanks to God the Father at all times and for everything in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. (Ephesians 5:15-20)

Good Tuesday, dear Friend! I'm praying this finds you and yours doing well, as it leaves us; thanks to God! As we pray today, please remember Mr. Bob Clark in your prayers for his recovery. He underwent a 9.5 hour surgery last Monday; when he awoke, he told me yesterday, he asked his son when they were going to start the surgery; his son said, "Dad, it's over. It took 91/2 hours, but all went well. Bob said until Monday he had placed 0 for pain, but Monday was a 10+ day. Pray for his comfort and healing. I visited with Mr. Royce Towns, who did suffer a minor stroke putting him in rehab here in Seguin Hospital. He should be well enough to return home Thursday. Pray for one another and pray for yourselves.

How many of us wish we could go back to a certain point in our lives and ask for a do-over? I'll be the first to admit I'd have to ask for more than one. We can't hind behind the old "We all make mistakes," for in Christ we should be new creatures, strengthened and guided by Him - yet, we do still sin. Paul is addressing this in this passage today. He knows the days he was living in were evil; guess what? They're still this side of nice, and judging from certain events, may even be getting worse. It's our individual responsibility to make wise decisions. Our lives should reflect our being in the presence of the Most High, whose commandment to us is to be like Him. It begins by making the most of our time. In other passages Paul exhorts us to think on the good and the pure; to make the most of our time by singing songs of praise to the Lord, seeking to know what God's will is for our lives. Paul in Philippians 4:8 says basically that it is in our minds that sin begins. "Finally, beloved, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is pleasing, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things." Jesus addresses this as well when He spoke about adultery in our hearts/minds is as sinful as the actual act. If we can control our minds to think on things of God, we leave little to no room for the evil things to come in.

We can seek ways to numb our spirits, as Paul addresses drunkenness, but says the draughts we drink should be of God's Holy Spirit as we sing songs and hymns of praise, with an attitude of gratitude. I love worship on Sundays when a hymn or praise song speaks right to my need, and as I'm getting in my truck to go home I look up that song on Apple Music and play it all the way home. As I'm singing and driving, the traffic and some of the stunts other vehicles try to play don't bother me. When I get home, I thank God for the time in His house and for the safe drive home. I urge you all to pray for your pastor(s) especially when they drive; that God's protective presence be with all of us.

Dear one, I pray that God would fill your heart and mind with gracious and lovely things that would bless the Lord and your during this day. Seek to fill your mind with God's love and care for you and yours. Then, take a moment to pray for those on your heart that you know need your prayers; then reach out to them in a way that blesses them.

PRAYER: Heavenly Father, fill my heart and mind with You! I ask that all my thoughts and praises today be centered on Your loving kindness for me. Forgive me the occasions that made me want to ask for a do-over; give me a day filled with Your blessings, so that I might bless others. In Christ Jesus we pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! Seek to be a blessing in your prayers and praises today!

Eradio Valverde