Thursday, August 16, 2018

Want to be Wise?  Fear the Lord!

Image from pinterest.com

Hallelujah! I give thanks to God with everything I've got - Wherever good people gather, and in the congregation. God's works are so great, worth A lifetime of study - endless enjoyment!  Splendor and beauty mark his craft; His generosity never gives out. His miracles are his memorial - This God of Grace, this God of Love.  He gave food to those who fear him, He remembered to keep his ancient promise.  He proved to his people that he could do what he said: Hand them the nations on a platter - a gift! He manufactures truth and justice; All his products are guaranteed to last -  Never out-of-date, never obsolete, rust-proof. All that he makes and does is honest and true:  He paid the ransom for his people, He ordered his Covenant kept forever. He's so personal and holy, worthy of our respect. The good life begins in the fear of God - Do that and you'll know the blessing of God. His Hallelujah lasts forever!  (Psalm 111 The Message)

Good day dear Friend!  I pray this blesses your life and need right now.  May the Lord be merciful to each of us and grant us the privilege of glorifying Him in our lives today and all days!  I'm thanking God for the birthday of our youngest daughter, Caitlin Valverde.  She is the mother of our oldest grandson, Liam, and she lives in Houston.  We are wonderfully blessed!  Happy Birthday, Caitlin!

Boy did I want to be wise!  Was it just me, or does every boy go through a period where his dad thinks there is no hope in the world for his son?  There was a period in my life where I did everything wrong or so I was told.   I would be asked to bring a Phillips screwdriver and I didn't even know a Phillips! "Mr. Phillips?  The man who owns the tiny candy store across the street from my elementary school?"  I knew I needed wisdom. I love and miss my Dad very much and I'm not trying to put him in a negative light, but he did the very best he could and loved us to where we are today; but those days...  I learned from that and tried to teach different things to my girls.

Wisdom comes from the Lord and especially those who fear Him.  Here again, before I had knowledge I thought fearing the Lord meant to be scared to death of Him; not so; fear is the loving respectful attitude towards God that honors God and places God at the top of our lives.  So, to be wise means to have that attitude towards God and everything else will fall into place.  The psalm stresses that in the midst of praising God.  This modern version gives a helpful perspective towards this precious work.  David knew and taught his sons, especially Solomon, to praise God with all he had.  He taught him as he's teaching us, that God provides all things, especially food and this in keeping with the gospel lesson for this week with Jesus' declaration that He is the bread of life.  God can be trusted, but above all, God should be loved.

I love how this version does not directly speak of wisdom rather, "The good life begins in the fear of God - Do that and you'll know the blessing of God."  Indeed, any life lived in the respectful love of God is a good life!  Dear one, if you think you lack wisdom you're on the right track!  Give your heart to God and love and trust God and life will be blessed with that wisdom of God that no one can take away!

PRAYER:  Loving God, may this day be a day of wisdom for each reader.  May we seek to love and trust You in all things.  Bless us in ways that bring wisdom to others.  Thank You for those in our lives who helped us seek wisdom; in Christ Jesus we pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!  Be wise!  Love God!  Trust God!  Respect God and those whom God has created.

Eradio Valverde