Thursday, January 30, 2020

Are You on God's Guest List?

Image from dailyverse.knowing-Jesus.com

Hear Here: http://bit.ly/2GywDkf

1 God, who gets invited to dinner at your place? How do we get on your guest list? 2 "Walk straight, act right, tell the truth. 3 "Don't hurt your friend, don't blame your neighbor; 4 despise the despicable. "Keep your word even when it costs you, 5 make an honest living, never take a bribe. "You'll never get blacklisted if you live like this."(Psalm 15 The Message)

You, Dear Friend, are cordially invited to dine at the Table of the Lord! Come as you are; but feel free to let God change you if you need! This Sunday at the church of your choice.

"I'd rather be on Jesus' mailing list than Satan's hit list!" Words from the Apostle E.F., from the movie The Apostle, starring Robert Duvall as a wayward pastor. Centuries earlier, the psalmist asked the same question, a bit differently, but still asking the same thing; what must we do to get on God's good side?

God answers the question in the next verse; "Walk straight, act right, tell the truth. Don't hurt your friend, don't blame your neighbor; despise the despicable. Keep your word even when it costs you, make an honest living, never take a bribe. You'll never get blacklisted if you live like this."

What God shares to the prophet is a summary of the Ten Commandments, the entire Mosaic law, and the desire God has had since Day One. This psalm rounds out all the scriptures that we have studied this week. Jesus shared the Beatitudes in the gospel as a new way to live. The Epistle was from 1 Corinthians about the power of the cross for the believers. And yesterday, the word spoken from the Old Testament about the requirements from God on how to live. You and I are called to be people of commitment and faith. We are to live lives that give witness to the power of God at work in us. "Walk straight" is another way of saying we are to live with integrity. "Act right" is our commitment to righteousness. "Tell the truth" is speaking the truth always. This is like the conversations that a parent should have with their child when the moment is right, and that parent cares enough to explain expectations that honor God and the family name. "Live in this way, and everything will come out alright for you in your life."

Indeed. Such is God's love for you as His child. As a child we have the choice to believe this and live it, or to walk away and not be bothered by it. Your choice. I pray that we have wisdom enough to live in a way that honors and pleases God.

PRAYER: Loving Father, smile down on me and help me to be as You have asked. I accept the responsibility to live in a way that honors You. Let me bless You and Yours by living in this way of walking straight, acting right, telling the truth. I seek to help not hurt my friends, and I accept personal responsibility for my actions; I won't blame my neighbor. I will walk away from that which can hurt or hinder me. I will be a person of truth, and I will seek to make an honest living. I accept Your invitation to dine with You this coming Sunday. In Jesus' name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! Live a life of praise in a way that blesses God.

Receive my blessings of love and peace,

Pastor Eradio Valverde