Wednesday, January 22, 2020

From Darkness to Light

Image from dustoffthebible.com

Hear Here: http://bit.ly/36cHSch

1 But there will be no gloom for those who were in anguish. In the former time he brought into contempt the land of Zebulun and the land of Naphtali, but in the latter time he will make glorious the way of the sea, the land beyond the Jordan, Galilee of the nations. 2 The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light; those who lived in a land of deep darkness— on them light has shined. 3 You have multiplied the nation, you have increased its joy; they rejoice before you as with joy at the harvest, as people exult when dividing plunder. 4 For the yoke of their burden, and the bar across their shoulders, the rod of their oppressor, you have broken as on the day of Midian. (Isaiah 9:1-4 NRSV)

Have you ever gone through a gloomy period? Uncertain about where to go next, or what to do next? I have and so I know it is not a good feeling or a good place to be. But it was the promise of God being in control and for me to be patient and soon enough His light would shine through.

The people of God are not immune from darkness nor gloom especially when they wandered into those regions on their own. The people of Israel were experts in Meandering and Wandering. They had been raised differently, but still chose the wrong path all the time. But thanks be to God that He never gave up on them, and neither has He given up on you or me. The scriptures for this week speak of the light coming into the darkness through Jesus and His ministry. Those who heard and believed found themselves delivered into God's hands and received His joy. And rejoicing was what followed next.

My gloom came when I entered my internship church. This particular church was not built to have more than one pastor. And he had a nice office, and next to him was a Sunday school classroom that was made to house a secretary which the church had not planned on when it was built. My first day there the pastor with whom I was to study with said, "Here's your desk." I know someone meaning to be helpful was asked by the pastor to find a desk. And the closest thing to a desk was a vanity desk. My knees did not fit in it. I remembered the full office I had had as a youth director in Houston. I remembered the nice cubicles I had as an AT&T rep. Satan laughed and said, "Now are you sure you want to be a minister? It would be so easy to leave and get your old job back!" I was a semester from graduation. Just then the oldest son of the pastor said, "My Dad says you got it! Which he means you got what it takes to be a minister." Wow, just what I needed to hear at that time. The pastor saw how silly I must have looked trying to fit into that desk and he said, "I know where there's a better desk." And we found one. And that night, at the weekly prayer meeting where about 8 or so golden agers were gathered to pray, the light shone on the youngest woman in the room, who would become my wife.

Whatever you may be thinking or experiencing, God is with you, and you will see the light soon enough. The passage said that when the people saw the light they had their joy increased and the yoke of their burden and everything that was holding them back was removed and broken. And so it shall be with you and your burden.

PRAYER: Lord God, breaker of all that holds us back, I pray that you remove from this dear reader that which has been holding him or her back from the fullness of Your grace. Whatever burden or oppression they are feeling, in the name of Jesus, remove it and increase their joy and make light their load. I pray for healing and restoration on them; in the name of our Lord and Savior, Christ Jesus, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! Bless others as you become the light God has asked you to be for them.

Receive my blessings of peace and love,

Pastor Eradio Valverde