Thursday, January 23, 2020

Light & Salvation

Image from psalmquotes.com

Hear Here: http://bit.ly/2GdlncI

1 The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? 4 One thing I asked of the Lord, that will I seek after: to live in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord, and to inquire in his temple. 5 For he will hide me in his shelter in the day of trouble; he will conceal me under the cover of his tent; he will set me high on a rock. 6 Now my head is lifted up above my enemies all around me, and I will offer in his tent sacrifices with shouts of joy; I will sing and make melody to the Lord. 7 Hear, O Lord, when I cry aloud, be gracious to me and answer me! 8 "Come," my heart says, "seek his face!" Your face, Lord, do I seek. 9 Do not hide your face from me. Do not turn your servant away in anger, you who have been my help. Do not cast me off, do not forsake me, O God of my salvation! (Psalm 27:1, 4-9 NRSV)

Good day, dear Friend. On Monday, we read about Jesus calling His first disciples who were four brothers, who left behind prosperous businesses to seek to fish for people. They understood at that point of their life that there was more to life than the money they were making as fishermen. Success, they now understood, was helping find people light in the darkness, and salvation in the midst of hopelessness. Success was finding Jesus as the stronghold of their life.

Yet to be truthful, even after three years of faithful service to Jesus, they still did not fully know Who Jesus was and what Jesus was about. It would take the pain and agony of the cross for them to begin to realize just how far Jesus would go to truly free them from their prisons of sin. And it would be the power of that Easter Sunday' Resurrection that would begin to cement in their spirits the power of God in Jesus.

The desire that the psalmist speaks of in verses four and following is that which should bless our lives. There is a secure place in which we can rest, and that is the presence of the Lord. Some find Him in prayer; others in worship; some in quiet times of reflection; others in study and reading Scriptures and related books. The psalmist says to seek Him, and He will be found.

PRAYER: Awesome God, in the midst of pressures and deadlines, we pause to seek Your face. Reveal Yourself to us especially as we wrestle with anxiety and worry. Lift us up and place us in secure places. This we pray in Christ Jesus' strong name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! Show others how they too can find the Lord.

Receive my blessings of love and peace.

Pastor Eradio Valverde

Prayer Request: Dear friends, please keep this old man in your prayers as we travel to Corpus Christi for Sunday worship at St. Luke's UMC. The following Sunday we travel to FUMC of San Angelo; then to Shiner UMC on the 9th for a sermon there. We ask for traveling mercies and for the anointing of God's Holy Spirit for these sermons. Thank you!