Thursday, March 17, 2022

A Song From the Desert

Image from Christianity.com

Hear the devotional here: https://bit.ly/3thHCrb

1 God - you're my God! I can't get enough of you! I've worked up such hunger and thirst for God, traveling across dry and weary deserts. 2 So here I am in the place of worship, eyes open, drinking in your strength and glory. 3 In your generous love I am really living at last! My lips brim praises like fountains. 4 I bless you every time I take a breath; My arms wave like banners of praise to you. 5 I eat my fill of prime rib and gravy; I smack my lips. It's time to shout praises! 6 If I'm sleepless at midnight, I spend the hours in grateful reflection. 7 Because you've always stood up for me, I'm free to run and play. 8 I hold on to you for dear life, and you hold me steady as a post. (Psalm 63:1-8 The Message Bible)

Happy Thursday, ConCafe Family! May this day bless you, dear Friend, as that is my prayer for you. And a Happy Saint Patrick's Day, too! May this time spent with God bless your walk with Him, and with those who matter most in your life, and may it sparken an awakening to those who don't yet matter to you yet. As we pray, I invite us to pray for Mr. Johnnie Fogle, who yesterday underwent cataract surgery and is recovering well, today he goes to his post-surgical checkup; let us pray all went well. Pray for Johnnie as this Sunday hs is preaching at two churches. May God bless and protect him as he delivers God's word. I also got word that Mr. Bill Blundell is being moved to Shady Oaks Nursing Home in Moulton, as his doctor believes our brother needs skilled nursing care. Please pray for a smooth transition for Bill and his family. Please continue to pray for a quick and peaceful resolution to the war in Ukraine and may God's Holy Spirit convict those with evil intent in their hearts towards others in this conflict.

I still marvel at some of the deep theological discussions my friend Alex and I had when we were young. I believe I was already feeling a stirring in my soul towards God's word and so we would talk about things I had learned in Sunday school, and Alex provided his insights. I remember we discussed the Garden of Eden many times. I could not begin to understand the meaning of paradise and though I had never gone there, I kept thinking that Eden must be something like Hawaii. Our discussion was mostly about palm trees, lush vegetation and other things that Eden must have surely had. When it came to time to talk about deserts, like the one the Israelites walked through for 40 years we knew it was somewhere close to Kingsville, especially in those dry months when it had not rained in a long time. We couldn't imagine spending much time in a desert, let alone sleeping in one. If you asked two six year olds, God must surely be in Hawaii and certainly not in the desert.

Yet, here is the Psalmist talking about his walking through "dry and weary deserts," and having worked up quite a hunger and thrist for God. And when he found himself in worship, he remembered those days of seeking, and now rejoices in what is surely the presence of God, where he can drink in God's strenght and glory. Now I realize God is in all places, not just the ones we like. Wherever we find ourselves, and in whatever condition it may be, God is there just for us. And when we realize the presence and beauty of God we can say what the psalmist said, "I am really living at last!" With every breath we take we can praise God. It's like a real banquet of, as this modern version says, of prime rib and gravy; and what that sparks in him is the desire to worship God more. Even on sleepless nights, our tossing and turning should be times of grateful reflection on God and God's mercy towards us. God has indeed always stood us for us, and that has brought us freedom to do what God has asked of us, and we still need to hold on to Him and know that God holds us in His strong grip.

As Easter draws closer, dear one, so should we draw closer to God. We will be the more blessed for it.

PRAYER: Loving God of all places, hold us steady and strong right now. May we draw closer to You and thus closer to those who like us, seek You. Then send us forth to those who do not yet know You and truly need You. in Christ Jesus we pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! During our luncheon I asked the question to being rescued by God; what are we doing about it? I say we should be telling others in convincing ways that God is real, God is loving, and God seeks those who feel far from Him.

Receive my blessings of joy and peace,

Pastor Eradio Valverde, Jr.