Monday, March 07, 2022

Foxes and Mother Hens

Image from bearsoftheworld.net

Hear the podcast here: https://bit.ly/3CxLaZH

31 At that time some Pharisees came to Jesus and said to him, “Leave this place and go somewhere else. Herod wants to kill you.” 32 He replied, “Go tell that fox, ‘I will keep on driving out demons and healing people today and tomorrow, and on the third day I will reach my goal.’ 33 In any case, I must press on today and tomorrow and the next day—for surely no prophet can die outside Jerusalem! 34 “Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were not willing. 35 Look, your house is left to you desolate. I tell you, you will not see me again until you say, ‘Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.’” (Luke 13:1-9 NIV)

Happy and blessed Monday, dear Friend. I pray the blessings of the Lord enrich your soul and guide you to new and awesome spiritual adventures; that's my prayer for you! May we continue to pray for one another; may our Lenten journey be a blessed one truly preparing us for the service of the Lord to those whom we can bless. I spoke with Dr. Commie Hisey and he shared how his brother Dan was able to released from the hospital this weekend after a second stay. Please continue to pray for his recovery. My brother-in-law, Hector Rosales is still not full conscious; pray for his recovery. Pray for this old man as this week I lead the Lenten Wednesday noon meal and study of the psalm. Please pray for one another, pray for peace in Ukraine, pray for peace in the souls of those who are troubled by life.

One of my favorite cities in the world is Jerusalem. I've shared with you how it is the city that Nellie immediately said we should live in. I told her there was a severe shortage of Methodist churches and my chances of getting a church job in Jerusalem were slim to none. Such was the awesomeness that came over us as we explored the Holy City. Jerusalem is the home to three of the world's major religions, Judaism, Isalm, and Christianity. It is a moden city with all the modern conveniences and stores that major cities of the world have, and it has the ancient city where Jesus stood on the day of this passage. He is not yet under arrest, but His time is drawing near. Herod knows about Jesus, and some Pharisees come to supposedly warn Jesus about it. The Pharisees wanted Jesus dead, and they may have been stretching the truth about the whole matter. What is interesting is that Jesus tells the Pharisees that Herod, in the scheme of territorial predators of that region, he was a fox. The photo for today is not a religious one, but one of the major predator of that area, the Siberian bear. The least threatening of them all was the fox; so Jesus has lobbed a dig at Herod and the Pharisees. Jesus also makes His stand clear; His work was not yet completed and thus He states, "I will keep on driving out demons and healing people today and tomorrow, and on the third day I will reach my goal." Here, Jesus has hinted again of His death and resurrection. And plainly states that He will die whe He says, "For surely no prophet can die outside Jerusalem!" And this leads Jesus to express His sorrow over Jerusalem. I had mentioned that Luke was the more universal of the gospels for the way Luke shared stories and references to the neglected of society, and here Jesus in His sorrowful recollection of Jerusalem's history with God's prophets. His statement; "Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were not willing." Jesus wants to be like a mother hen who can protect her children under her wings, but knows that Jerusalem is not willing. He continues, "Look, your house is left to you desolate. I tell you, you will not see me again until you say, 'Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord.'"

This passage means that no matter the threat, Jesus fears nothing nor anyone. The powerful man Herod and his threats, was no match for Jesus, nor was Jerusalem's history something for Jesus to fear. Imagine Jesus protecting you? I do. And I ask Him often ask for His blessing and protection. Yesterday, between services at church, I met one of the sons of our church brother, John Boothe, who passed away this past week. The young man with whom I spoke is a twin, and he is a United States Marine serving in Okinawa. As we closed I spoke of my praying for Jesus to bless and protect him in his service for our country. I also mentioned my prayer that we never need to send him to Ukraine. I would ask that we do add young men and women, who are in our armed forces to be blessed and protected by the Lord. May we also pray for the wellbeing of those who are in harm's way. And may our prayers include our worries and fears, too. And may we also pray that Jesus use us to protect others.

PRAYERS: Loving God, bless and protect us, and allow us to bless and protect others as well. May our Lenten Journey bring others to know You and Your love; in Christ Jesus we pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! Be a protector of each one's dignity and life today.

Receive my blessings of joy and peace,

Pastor Eradio Valverde, Jr.