Tuesday, August 08, 2006

INTO MY HEART

Good day dear friends.

We continue to examine the myth that people become Christians through social conditioning. And here is our study guide for today:

Tuesday: In the chapter before Saul’s conversion we see another conversion to Jesus by a man named Simon. Please read his story in Acts 8:9-13. See how this man goes from a “faith” to faith in Jesus Christ. How did your conversion take place? Have you not had a conversion? What’s holding you back?

Acts 8:9 Now for some time a man named Simon had practiced sorcery in the city and amazed all the people of Samaria. He boasted that he was someone great, 10 and all the people, both high and low, gave him their attention and exclaimed, "This man is the divine power known as the Great Power." 11 They followed him because he had amazed them for a long time with his magic. 12 But when they believed Philip as he preached the good news of the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women. 13 Simon himself believed and was baptized. And he followed Philip everywhere, astonished by the great signs and miracles he saw.

What is a conversion experience? It is a turning around experience. It is leaving behind that which we know is harmful or useless for our lives, and turning towards life and the fullness of life. In this passage we see how these people of Samaria were entertained by this sorcerer, Simon. His means of support was to put on this magic act, though not using smoke and mirrors, but the unexplained powers of darkness, and people were so taken with this entertainment they called him, "the Great Power" (v. 10). Funny how after Jesus is shared with them, they realized who is indeed the Great Power and they gave their lives to Him. They were baptized as was a former sorcerer who knew the real deal when he saw it. It is so awesome to read verse 13, that Simon begins to follow Philip everywhere, the man who once tried to astonish crowds is now himself astonished by the power of Jesus in the great signs and miracles he saw.

How did you conversion take place? is the question I ask in the study guide. My conversion was as a child when I accepted the Lord Jesus into my heart. I must have been eight or nine years old. I knew what I was doing, I knew Jesus was who my pastor said He was. As I've also told you, as I continue to mature, I seek the Lord more and more. I seek His guidance and strength to lead me in the right way, and away from that which still can kill, steal, or destroy. I know the limits of my strength and I know the unlimited power of the Lord. Am I perfect? No. I seek to be made perfect in love in this life, as I promised God and the bishop on the day I was questioned before my annual conference before my ordination as Elder. I still need the Lord more than ever.

I shared with the 8:30 worship service a part of the book, "Lord, He Went, the Biography of Bill Hinson," an Abingdon book that I highly recommend. In it, the Rev. Dr. Bill Hinson as he was pastoring and growing First UMC in Houston, shares how it hurt him when he found out a group of church members was leaving the church. Bill asked them why, and the spokesperson for the group said, "Bill, since you've gotten here, all you've preached is Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, and we're tired of it." Bill replied that that was all he knew and that would be all he would preach. Bill led the church to being at that time the largest UMC in the United States, all by preaching Jesus. We don't know what happened to that group. I preach Jesus too, because that's all I know. I know from my personal experience what the Lord has done for me and I know what He can do for you, if you would only give Him a chance.

Let nothing hold you back from the life-chaning power and love of God through Jesus Christ.

PRAYER: Come, Lord Jesus into my heart. Come in today. Come in to stay. Amen.

Have a great and blessed day!

e.v.