Monday, January 29, 2007

MAKING OUR KIDS COUNT

Good day dear friends. We continued our Made to Count sermon series with one called Making Your Kids Count, about how to instill in our children that which is most important namely their relationship with God. And with that in mind here is our study guide for today:
Monday: A very familiar Proverb is found in the Book of Proverbs 22:6. In it you will find an eternal truth. Please look it up and let it speak to your spirit as to what we should be doing with the children of the faith.
Here is that well-known proverb: "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."
A child is never too young to learn about God. Along with his or her crawling, walking, smiling, talking, he or she can learn about praying and the reality of God in your life and one day it will become real for them as well. Sadly, some folks believe teaching about God is for later years when a theological concept can be more realized. Yet, the simplicity of teaching something so theological profound as "Jesus loves me, this I know, for the Bible tells me so..." will come back later as a tremendous blessing for your child(ren).
"We've lost control of our kids" one church member told me after the first service. And that thought stayed with me throughout the day. I mentioned kids shoving their way through stores with no thought of saying "Excuse me" or even a "May I please get by?" Some would argue this is not a spiritual matter, but I would beg to differ. Lack of respect for others is not healthy in any realm be it spiritual, emotional or physical.
We all have a stake in raising kids in the God way. We all have to share in affirming that children are God's investment in our future.
PRAYER: Loving Father, speak to my heart as I seek to speak to my children and the children around me. Make me a servant and an example of how my life counts in You. I pray in Jesus' name, amen.
Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!
e.v.