Thursday, January 18, 2007

A WEEK OF SATURDAYS

Good day dear friends, from the land of Thawsville. We are finally seeing the end of the freezing weather and icicles and other sheets of ice are beginning to fall to the ground. It is still a beautiful sight, but after being inside for all these days, it seemed like each day was a Saturday. I kept thinking, "I'm not ready to preach tomorrow!" And I also wondered why certain shows that are not Saturday shows were on television.
But we've suffered enough and we continue our study of suffering with this study guide:
Thursday: Please find Matthew 26:36-46. In that pasage you will read about Jesus’ own suffering prior to His arrest. Please read it prayerfully. Let the words of the Lord comfort you. You may have been betrayed by a loved one(s) on whom you depended much. As the Lord said, “Father, forgive them for they know not what they do,” pray that for your life today.
Here is that passage from Matthew 26:36 Then Jesus went with them to a place called Gethsemane; and he said to his disciples, "Sit here while I go over there and pray." 37 He took with him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, and began to be grieved and agitated. 38 Then he said to them, "I am deeply grieved, even to death; remain here, and stay awake with me." 39 And going a little farther, he threw himself on the ground and prayed, "My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from me; yet not what I want but what you want." 40 Then he came to the disciples and found them sleeping; and he said to Peter, "So, could you not stay awake with me one hour? 41 Stay awake and pray that you may not come into the time of trial; F194 the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak." 42 Again he went away for the second time and prayed, "My Father, if this cannot pass unless I drink it, your will be done." 43 Again he came and found them sleeping, for their eyes were heavy. 44 So leaving them again, he went away and prayed for the third time, saying the same words. 45 Then he came to the disciples and said to them, "Are you still sleeping and taking your rest? See, the hour is at hand, and the Son of Man is betrayed into the hands of sinners. 46 Get up, let us be going. See, my betrayer is at hand."
There is perhaps nothing worse, than to need someone and to find them asleep. You and I may have been in those situations with a friend or loved one when we've asked them to be awake and the heaviness of sleep overcame them or us, and we were not able to be heard or to hear the pleas of someone. Such was the case with Jesus. His heart was heavy from all He had suffered and would suffer. One of His own disciples, after almost three years of ministry, had betrayed Him earlier that night. Now he leads the eleven to the Mount of Olives where He wants to spend time in prayer, leaves eight at a certain spot, climbs higher with his inner circle of Peter, James, and John and shares with them these words, "I am deeply grieved, even to death; remain here, and stay awake with me." But did they? No. They fell asleep, leaving Jesus to be in agony by Himself. The only One to whom Jesus could always turn was His Father.
May we know we should be there for friends and loved ones when they need us. May we also know that when suffering becomes more than we can bear, God is always there for us, ready to listen and to lighten our load. God never lets us down. God sees us through.
PRAYER: Loving God, be with me now and always. Let me be a person with whom others can share. Be there for me always. I pray in Jesus' name. Amen.
Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!
e.v.