Saturday, August 11, 2007

KEEPING THE LINE OPEN WITH GOD


Good day dear friends.
Please keep Athena Reiche in your prayers. Last night close to ten p.m. I got a call she was on her way to the hospital in Austin. I went to Seton on 38th but on my way there, was told she wasn't there and someone said it was at Seton Southwest, but was not there either. Reports were she was to have emergency surgery, but details are not known. Please pray for her and Hans and Elaine.
Here is our study guide for today:
Saturday: Job 13, 14, 15Summarize some of Job’s longings, as found in Job 13-14.
Job's longings were two: Stop the afflictions and address me directly so that I can answer you. It makes sense to ask God to first, stop with the pain! Enough is enough! I can't stand to suffer any longer and secondly, come and talk to me about why this is happening. Job had reached that point of anger that comes with all suffering. We all do. It's a natural part of the process. Elizabeth Kubler Ross wrote a book called "On Death and Dying" and in it she shares the results of her having studied the process of those who were told they were dying. Their loved ones also went through these alongside their dying loved ones:
Denial (this isn't happening to me!)
Anger (why is this happening to me?)
Bargaining (I promise I'll be a better person if...)
Depression (I don't care anymore)
Acceptance (I'm ready for whatever comes)
We find Job at the anger stage. Given all he had suffered and all he had lost, Job wanted answers and he wanted them directly from God.
We're not finished with Job's story, we just find him at this point where he wants to know more about what he has experienced. Please note the communication lines with God are still open. Some do find after suffering and crying alot for loved ones, that they can no longer pray, but St. Paul knew that the Holy Spirit intercedes for us "with groans and sigh," a language of prayer that only He can understand.
Keep the line open with God. God never hangs up on us.
PRAYER: Loving God, we thank You for your listening and loving heart. As we face what we face, keep us mindful of Your presence and Your power to help us deal with all. Let us be used by You today to share with those who need a word of hope and encouragement. We pray in Jesus' Name, amen.
Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!
e.v.