Friday, August 01, 2008

OUR DAY OF SERVICE


Good day dear friends.

Early this morning, Dr. Howard Yeargen of San Marcos suffered a stroke and died. Howard had taught in Kingsville at A&I and then made his way to Southwest Texas/Texas State University, and was very active at First UMC. Just two Sundays ago after Jurisdictional Conference, we saw Howard accompany his precious granddaughter in some musical presentations. Howard played piano and his granddaughter played the violin. It was a wonderful sight seeing grandpa and granddaughter praising God in that way. Howard had been battling cancer for some time.

Sam Martinez and his mother, Gloria, both underwent surgery yesterday. Gloria underwent emergency gall bladder surgery and Sam had a corrective procedure done. Both were to spend the night at the Renaissance Hospital in McAllen, TX.

Friday is our day of service. Witnessing has been our theme for the week and no better day than today to get out there and share something with someone about your faith. Ask God to guide you in where and how and don't be like Lucy in Peanuts; an old strip of Charles Shultz shows Lucy talking with Charlie Brown and she says, "I could be a great evangelist." Charlie asks how she knows and she replies that she convinced the boy behind her that her religion was better than his. "How did you do that?" Charlie innocently asks to which Lucy replied, "I hit him with my lunch box!"

Leave your lunch box at home and just let God use you in a way that shows the hope that is yours in Christ Jesus.

PRAYER: Loving God, bathe me in your light today. Let me go forth following Your lead and direction as I seek to share my faith. If necessary, give me the words I should use to share how I believe, but mostly use my actions to show that I have Your love, joy, and peace in my heart. Bless the Yeargan family and continue to bring Your healing touch to Sam and Gloria. I pray this in Jesus' Name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

e.v.