Tuesday, August 26, 2008

SLAVES NO MORE!


Good day dear friends.

Here is our study guide for today:
tuesday Have you found yourself a “slave” to something? Jesus addressed slavery to sin in John 8:31ff. Jesus also said “the truth shall make you free.” Can the “truth” about your “slavery” make you free?

Here is that passage from John 8:31 To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, "If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. 32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." 33 They answered him, "We are Abraham's descendants and have never been slaves of anyone. How can you say that we shall be set free?" 34 Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. 35 Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever. 36 So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed. 37 I know you are Abraham's descendants. Yet you are ready to kill me, because you have no room for my word.

Sunday I also mentioned John 10:10 about Jesus' promise of the fulness of life, and that came after Jesus talked about "the thief" and how he has come to "steal, kill, and destroy." A logical order of those things in our lives that we know are harmful and that we should not be doing. I mentioned drug addiction, an addiction to smoking, alcoholism, etc. Those habits or vices steal from us the fullness of life; they can also kill and our death will destroy our families.

What is it that you know is harming your life? Jesus said that sin can enslave us but through His teachings, through His love, through our surrender to His will, we can become free. What a wonderful promise to add to the fullness of our lives. We are not meant to live as slaves, we're meant to live as free people.

PRAYER: Lord of Life, I thank You for the freedom and the fulllness of life we find in You and Your Son, Christ Jesus. Bring to my life that fullness that will bless You and Yours. I ask this in Christ Jesus' precious Name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

e.v.