Monday, May 10, 2010

ME? SHOW MERCY?


Spirit of the Living God, fall afresh on the life and needs of this dear reader; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen

Here is our text for today: Matthew 5:7 "Blessed are the merciful, for they will receive mercy.

Beside the theme of love, the theme of being merciful is central to our belief as Christians. We know that God loves us and that God forgives us and shows us mercy. In the same way, God makes it clear that we too, are to be merciful towards others. In parables, Jesus spoke of the need to show mercy for we have been shown mercy. The one that should come to mind is that of the man forgiven a large financial debt when he could have easily been sent to prison. As that man is leaving the presence of the man who forgave him he runs into one who owes him a small amount of money and then deals with him as he himself should have been dealt. Jesus said it went worse with the one shown the most mercy. Read the entire story at Matthew 18:23-45. What makes it worse is that the man shown mercy who refused to show mercy, was arrested and tortured until he paid his debt.

You and I have been forgiven a great debt. God has taken our sin away. Why can't we show mercy towards someone who has sinned against us?

PRAYER: Loving God, let me show mercy so that I may continue to receive Your mercy. Thank you for loving me enough to forgive me. In the same way, let me show mercy. I ask this in Christ Jesus' precious name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde