Monday, May 31, 2010

A SPIRITUAL INSTINCT


God of great comfort, pour out comfort and healing on the lives and memories of those who have lost loved ones during war; bless and protect them as only You can; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Here is our text for today, on this Memorial Day: Matthew 5: 38 "You have heard that it was said, "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.' 39 But I say to you, Do not resist an evildoer. But if anyone strikes you on the right cheek, turn the other also; 40 and if anyone wants to sue you and take your coat, give your cloak as well; 41 and if anyone forces you to go one mile, go also the second mile.

Jesus' main message was about life and the fullness thereof. And so to read these words we have to keep that in mind. Moses gave the people of God the law of controlled retaliation or revenge. The former way was to go and completely annihilate the one who had caused you harm. And the members of his/her family as well. Moses said, if in the midst of a battle or fight you lose a tooth, the most you can demand from that person is a tooth. Not his or her death. And the same for the loss of an eye. Jesus tells us to take it even further: If someone strikes us on our right cheek, turn the other as well. To battle this other person might bring us more harm than a sore cheek and sore ego. And for those of His day who knew the law of the Roman soldiers, to be tapped by the flat of a soldier's spear to carry his pack for a mile meant you had to do it or the spear would be turned and you would get killed for disobeying that soldier's order. From this comes all those sayings about going the "extra mile," or "second mile" giving.

It's not easy. We just watched a commercial for the upcoming remake of Karate Kid and we talked about high school bullies. I said no one had given me any trouble in high school and Nellie reminded me of a kid I had thrown over the fence. I replied, "He never bothered me again." He had come swinging at me to fight me and I just picked him up and threw him. Fight over. No more problems. Like I said, it's not easy. But it's the way of a better life as shared with us by Jesus. With Jesus' help and guidance we can live a life that shows the world that there is indeed, a better way to live.

PRAYER: Loving and merciful God, forgive me those times I have not turned the other cheek or have been the first one to strike. Help me rise above animal instincts to the spiritual instincts that can be mine with Your presence abiding in me. I pray this in Christ Jesus' precious name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde