Wednesday, August 18, 2010

PUTTING GOD ON HOLD?

God of all power and might, pour out Your blessing on the needs of this dear reader; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Here is our text for today from Jeremiah 1: 4 Now the word of the Lord came to me saying, 5 "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations." 6 Then I said, "Ah, Lord God! Truly I do not know how to speak, for I am only a boy." 7 But the Lord said to me, "Do not say, "I am only a boy'; for you shall go to all to whom I send you, and you shall speak whatever I command you. 8 Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you to deliver you, says the Lord." 9 Then the Lord put out his hand and touched my mouth; and the Lord said to me, "Now I have put my words in your mouth. 10 See, today I appoint you over nations and over kingdoms, to pluck up and to pull down, to destroy and to overthrow, to build and to plant."

As society and technology advances not all of it is pretty. Case in point, automated calling. "Thank you for calling SO&SO, your call is important to us, please select from one of the following options. Please listen closely as our menu has changed. Please say or press your 35 digit account number. I'm sorry, but I didn't get that. Please say or press your 35 digit account number..." and on and on it goes. Have you every put God on hold? If you're like me, you probably have. This passage from Jeremiah is powerful, for it is the call from God to this young boy to be a prophet, or spokesperson for the Lord God. God introduces Who is calling by saying, "I made you, so I know you. And because I know you I am calling and consecrated you for this important work that I have..." The boy tries to get out of it or to put God on hold like "God, I'm not ready yet, old enough, good enough, trained enough, bold enough, strong enough (fill in the blank)..." but God's response is that we can't hide behind excuses when God has called us. We have nothing to fear because God is with us to guide us.

God calls you and me daily to do or say or even think things that will be for God's glory. We may try to dismiss it as something we thought of or that doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, but God will not go away if we've been truly called. Pray as you get that call and remember that it does YOU no good to put God on hold. Who knows (besides God) you might just be speaking to "nations" and "kingdoms."

PRAYER: Loving God, with You there is no hold; let the same be true for me. I ask this in Christ Jesus' precious and powerful name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord.

Eradio Valverde