Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Christ, Our Shepherd!

God of power and light, may Your grace be sufficient for this dear reader; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Our text for today comes from Ezekiel 34: 11 "'God, the Master, says: From now on, I myself am the shepherd. I'm going looking for them. 12 As shepherds go after their flocks when they get scattered, I'm going after my sheep. I'll rescue them from all the places they've been scattered to in the storms. 13 I'll bring them back from foreign peoples, gather them from foreign countries, and bring them back to their home country. I'll feed them on the mountains of Israel, along the streams, among their own people. 14 I'll lead them into lush pasture so they can roam the mountain pastures of Israel, graze at leisure, feed in the rich pastures on the mountains of Israel. 15 And I myself will be the shepherd of my sheep. I myself will make sure they get plenty of rest. 16 I'll go after the lost, I'll collect the strays, I'll doctor the injured, I'll build up the weak ones and oversee the strong ones so they're not exploited. 20 "'Therefore, God, the Master, says: I myself am stepping in and making things right between the plump sheep and the skinny sheep. 21 Because you forced your way with shoulder and rump and butted at all the weaker animals with your horns till you scattered them all over the hills, 22 I'll come in and save my dear flock, no longer let them be pushed around. I'll step in and set things right between one sheep and another. 23 "'I'll appoint one shepherd over them all: my servant David. He'll feed them. He'll be their shepherd. 24 And I, God, will be their God. My servant David will be their prince. I, God, have spoken. (The Message)

I was just thinking yesterday how far removed I have become from the land. By that I mean, while I personally have never lived on a farm or ranch, in my growing up years I was always discovering things about nature, the earth, creeks, water creatures, etc. I loved watching ants and the now rare horned frog. In fact, in a conversation with someone we said, "We're not on the farm anymore!" meaning what we had been saying shows that we've come a long way, for both good and bad, from what used to be. My experience with shepherds has not been firsthand. I have heard sermons and lectures on the image of a shepherd and I have a general understanding and a tremendous appreciation for how the shepherd, the solitary figure in charge of a flock of sheep, works and lays his/her life on the line for these sheep. I love the care and love that a shepherd shares with his flock. I love the idea of the sheep know the shepherd's voice and respond to it. Yet, you and I can't begin to understand the tremendous love that God has for God's people. This Old Testament passage speaks of that love and care that God claims for us. God shares how the want is there to gather the flock and make right the relationship between each sheep and between sheep and God. And the passage ends with God's promise that one shepherd, from the house of David, will be both shepherd and prince.

Sunday is a day to celebrate Christ as King. The passages thus far this week have been centered on that idea. Ours is a call to honor and worship Christ the King. Ours is to live a life that trust God for all things. Christ is our shepherd. What shall we want?

PRAYER: Loving God, we thank You for Your Son, whom we acknowledge as our King. May our lives reflect the honor and obedience deserved by Him. May we truly be sheep of Your flock all days. In Christ Jesus we pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde