Thursday, November 10, 2011

What Are You Waiting For?

Our text for today comes from Judges 4: 1 The People of Israel kept right on doing evil in God's sight. With Ehud dead, 2 God sold them off to Jabin king of Canaan who ruled from Hazor. Sisera, who lived in Harosheth Haggoyim, was the commander of his army. 3 The People of Israel cried out to God because he had cruelly oppressed them with his nine hundred iron chariots for twenty years. 4 Deborah was a prophet, the wife of Lappidoth. She was judge over Israel at that time. 5 She held court under Deborah's Palm between Ramah and Bethel in the hills of Ephraim. The People of Israel went to her in matters of justice. 6 She sent for Barak son of Abinoam from Kedesh in Naphtali and said to him, "It has become clear that God, the God of Israel, commands you: Go to Mount Tabor and prepare for battle. Take ten companies of soldiers from Naphtali and Zebulun. 7 I'll take care of getting Sisera, the leader of Jabin's army, to the Kishon River with all his chariots and troops. And I'll make sure you win the battle." 8 Barak said, "If you go with me, I'll go. But if you don't go with me, I won't go." (NRSV)

This week's Lectionary does not include verse 8, but I think it makes the story more interesting to read it with the eighth verse included. Interesting how the people blame God for their own evil. It had been because of their own decisions and consequences that they ended up under foreign rule and an oppressive one at that; but they still cried out to God because it was so unpleasant living under stuch conditions. Interestingly enough, it was Deborah, who was now judge over Israel. She was God's spokesperson and ruler over Israel's limited matters. And through her role of representing God, God let her know that the time was right for a victory over this oppressive government. God even gave her the name of the man to lead this battle and that was Barak. How much more assurance do you need than to know 1) God called you by name. 2) God is with you. 3) God says you will win this battle. 4) The time is right! Well, Barak is very much like us. He says he won't go unless Deborah goes with him. That's a lot like saying, "Unless the senior pastor comes to pray with me before this surgery, I haven't been prayed for!" (Would anyone really say that?).

God has called us by name for whatever it is that God has asked of us. God is with us. God says that in all things we will be more than conquerors. God says the time is right for service. What's holding us back? There should really be nothing holding us back! Get to conquering!

PRAYER: Loving God, let nothing nor no one hold me back today. You are with me. You have called me by name to serve You and I will do whatever it is You ask of me. I can do this and all things with You by my side. In Jesus' great and powerful name I pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde